Pennsylvania Technical and Other Resources
Welcome to the Technical Resources page! Covers Pennsylvania Natural Resource Concerns, Conservation Planning, Practices, Implementation Information, Practices for Water Quality Protection, Ecological Sciences, and much more.
Natural Resource Concerns and Information in Pennsylvania
- Adequate Energy Supply and Fuel Resources
- Clean Water and Clean Air
- Land Use: Cropland, Forestry, Range & Pasture, and Urban Agriculture
- Healthy Grazing Lands and Wetlands
- Seasonal High Tunnel System for Crops
- High Quality Productive Soils
- Working Farm Lands: Farmland Protection Easements
- FOTG - electronic Field Office Technical Guide (National Web page)
- Soil Survey (National Web page)
- Data, Maps, & Analysis
There’s no time like the present. There’s no better reason than the future. Developing a conservation plan today is one way to prepare for tomorrow. The professionals at your local Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) or Conservation District (CD) office can provide free assistance to help you understand your landscape, make conservation decisions, conserve natural resources, and evaluate how well your practices are working. We’ll help you develop a conservation plan that meets the unique needs of your operation, your land, and your life.
- Comprehensive Nutrient Management Planning (CNMP)
- Cultural Resources
- Economics Resources
- Environmental Compliance
- Information Fact Sheets
- Organic Agriculture
- Put Planning First!
- Conservation Technical Assistance
- Conservation Compliance
Conservation Practices and Implementation Information
- On the FOTG site navigate to the Table of Contents (TOC), once in the Field Office Technical Guide (FOTG) site you can navigate to the section area desired.
Conservation plans describe the actions necessary to manage ecosystems in consideration of economic and social needs. The following links provides conservation planners and resource managers guidelines and technical information relating to different types of ecological management practices.
- Feed Management
- Forestry & Agro-forestry
- Grazing Lands Management
- Invasive Species
- Nutrient Management
- Pest Management
- The Importance of Pollinators
- Pollinators National Web Site
- RUSLE2 Database
- Wildlife Biology
- Healthy Plants and Animals Communities
Engineering Tools and Resources
To assist in the design of engineering practices, the following standard drawings, details, guides, spreadsheets, etc. are approved for appropriate use in Pennsylvania. All technical resources are available to the general public, and while all have been examined for technical adequacy the responsibility for proper application remains with the user. Before using any of the technical resources, the designer should verify they are adaptable to the site and that the design limitations are not exceeded. All standard details and drawings must be part of a specific site design that is reviewed and approved by an individual with the appropriate approval authority.
- Construction Guides
- Design Guides
- Engineering Spreadsheets
- Fact Sheets
- Links to other Engineering sites
- NRCS Manuals and Handbooks with Pennsylvania Addendums
- Standard Pennsylvania Drawings
Technical Service Providers (TSP)
The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) provides technical and financial assistance to address environmental resource concerns on privately owned agricultural lands. Due to a high demand in our field offices, provisions were made to facilitate the installation of needed conservation practices using the services of private consultants to work as Technical Service Providers (TSP). A TSP is a source of technical assistance that, based on specific criteria, has been certified as such by NRCS.
Pennsylvania Boot Camp Videos
Pennsylvania Boot Camp Presentations