Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Springtime in the Cedar Creek badlands, Wibaux County, Montana

Wibaux County

Wibaux County on the border of North Dakota in eastern Montana has an area of 889.27 square miles and a population of 1,034. Just over half the county’s residents live in the town of Wibaux, the only incorporated community in the county. Apart from the Yellowstone River which marks the northwest boundary of the county for just under three miles, there are no rivers or major river tributaries in Wibaux County. Average annual precipitation ranges from 15-16 inches per year in the south-central part of the county to 13-14 inches in the far north, and drought years are not uncommon. Landcover types in the county are approximately 58% grassland and 19% cultivated crops with smaller areas of badlands, riparian zones, sagebrush steppe, woody draws and introduced vegetation.

Most of the land in Wibaux County is privately owned. The majority of livestock producers are commercial cow/calf operators, and a large percentage of cropland is dedicated to producing feed and forage for livestock. Among row crops, dryland wheat is most prevalent. The NRCS office, located in Wibaux, offers voluntary technical and financial assistance to private landowners interested in natural resource conservation based on a focused approach using long range planning with local input.


Current Financial Assistance Opportunities for Wibaux County Landowners​

In addition to these local projects, producers may also apply for statewide programs such as the Conservation Stewardship Program, national Environmental Quality Incentives Program initiatives, and conservation easement programs. Visit or call your local USDA Service Center, for more information on these and other programs, or see State Programs and Initiatives on the NRCS Montana webpage.

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

Additional Information