Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Sage grouse fly over snow-covered sagebrush steppe in Phillips County, Montana

Phillips County

Phillips County is borders on Canada in North Central Montana. The Missouri River and the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge lie at the southern border of the county. The population of the Phillips County is 4,074, with about 935 people living in the town of Malta, the County Seat. Not quite half of the people in Phillips County live on farms and ranches. The county+IBk-s 5,208 square miles include topography ranging from high plains to the Little Rocky Mountains. Most of the land cover is rangeland and a large portion of the land is federally owned. A portion of the Fort Belknap Reservation is within Phillips County.

Agriculture and natural resource extraction are the dominant industries in Phillips County. A relatively large number of acres are dedicated to producing feed and forage for livestock. Dryland wheat is the predominant crop and about forty-four percent of the forage is alfalfa hay. Most of the area+IBk-s 11-14 inches of annual precipitation falls as rain during the spring and early summer. The timing of the precipitation is what makes dryland farming in area possible. The NRCS office, located in Shelby, offers voluntary technical and financial assistance to private landowners interested in natural resource conservation based on a focused approach using long range planning with local input.


Current Financial Assistance Opportunities for Phillips County Landowners​

In addition to these local projects, producers may also apply for statewide programs such as the Conservation Stewardship Program, national Environmental Quality Incentives Program initiatives, and conservation easement programs. For more information on these and other programs, see State Programs and Initiatives on the NRCS Montana webpage.

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

Additional Information