Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Sage grouse display on a lek in Musselshell County, Montana

Musselshell and Golden Valley Counties

Musselshell and Golden Valley Counties, located in Central Montana, have an area of 3,047 square miles and a combined population of 5,610. Roundup, the Musselshell County seat, is the largest town in the two-county planning area. Musselshell County, the eastern county in the planning area, is bounded on the north by the Big and Little Snowy Mountains and on the south by the Bull Mountain Uplands. Golden Valley County to the West, is bounded on the north by the Big Snowy Mountains and on the south by the Big Coulee-Hailstone anticline. The Musselshell River flows through the entire width of the planning area and is largely considered the lifeblood of the planning unit.

Most of the land in Musselshell and Golden Valley Counties is privately owned. The land use for the planning area is about 91% grazing land including forest land, which is generally treated as grazing land due to the type and quality of the trees. Little off-farm commercial value currently exists in these forest communities. The predominant agriculture products in the area are beef cattle, wheat, and hay. The NRCS office, located in Roundup, serves both counties and offers voluntary technical and financial assistance to private landowners interested in natural resource conservation based on a focused approach using long range planning with local input.


Current Financial Assistance Opportunities for Landowners in Musselshell or Golden Valley Counties​

In addition to these local projects, producers may also apply for statewide programs such as the Conservation Stewardship Program, national Environmental Quality Incentives Program initiatives, and conservation easement programs. For more information on these and other programs, see State Programs and Initiatives on the NRCS Montana webpage.

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

Additional Information