Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Native range with cross fencing in Meagher County, Montana

Meagher County

Meagher County in central Montana includes parts of several mountain ranges in the Rocky Mountains and valleys between the ranges. The county is bounded on the west by the divide of the Big Belt Mountains and on the north and northeast by the Little Belt Mountains. The Castle Mountains lie wholly within the county in the central portion and part of the Crazy Mountains lie in the southwest corner. The Smith River, Sixteenmile Creek, and the Musselshell River drain most of the county and flow eventually to the Missouri river. The Shields River and its tributaries, which drain a small part of the south eastern end of the county flow to the Yellowstone River. Meagher county is 2,391 square miles, 40 percent of which is forest land, and averages 0.8 people per square mile (Headwaters Economics). The last of the lumber mills closed in the early '80s, but recreation and tourism continue to grow in the county.

Agriculture has always been a critical part of Meagher County's economy. Hay is grown on most farms and small grains are typically used in the hay rotation. Most farms produce beef cattle. The NRCS office, located in White Sulphur Springs, offers voluntary technical and financial assistance to private landowners interested in natural resource conservation based on a focused approach using long range planning with local input.


Current Financial Assistance Opportunities for Meagher County Landowners

In addition to these local projects, producers may also apply for statewide programs such as the Conservation Stewardship Program, national Environmental Quality Incentives Program initiatives, and conservation easement programs. For more information on these and other programs, see State Programs and Initiatives on the NRCS Montana webpage.

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

Additional Information