Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

WV Overlook

West Virginia

Welcome to Wild and Wonderful, West Virginia!

NRCS is a federal agency that works hand-in-hand with the people of West Virginia to improve and protect soil, water, and other natural resources. We have personnel in your local USDA Service Centers who work with conservation districts and other partners to serve farmers and landowners throughout the state. 

West Virginia State Office

  • 1550 Earl L Core Rd.
    Suite 200
    Morgantown, WV 26505

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit


Conservation Programs
Watershed Programs
Ecological Sciences
Management and Strategy

FY 2023 Ranking Information

Financial Assistance

Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP)

  • Round 1 2023-1 = Classic Signup Deadline: December 16, 2022
  • Round 2 2023-2 = Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) Signup Deadline - April 14, 2023

Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA)

  • Round 1 2023-1 = Classic Signup Deadline - December 16, 2022

Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP)

  • Round 1 2023-1 = Classic Signup Deadline - April 14, 2023
  • Round 1 2023-1 = Grassland Conservation Initiative (GCI) Signup Deadline - October 14, 2022
  • Round 2 2023-2 = IRA Signup Deadline - April 14, 2023


Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP)

  • Round 1 2023-1 = Agricultural Land Easement (ALE) Signup Deadline: November 18, 2022
  • Round 1 2023-1 = Wetland Reserve Easement (WRE) Signup Deadline: November 18, 2022

Regional Conservation Partnership Program (RCPP)

  • Round 1 2023-1 = Agricultural Land Easement (ALE) Signup Deadline: November 18, 2022

WV Payment Schedule

State Payment Schedule

NRCS provides financial assistance for selected conservation practices. The availability and amount of financial assistance can vary between states.

WV Civil Rights

Civil Rights Committee

The National Civil Rights Advisory Committee to the Chief (NCRACC) is designed to provide management officials and employees with counsel and advice to enhance and ensure compliance with their equal employment opportunity and program delivery responsibilities.

State Tech

State Technical Committee

State Technical Committees serve in an advisory capacity to the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and other agencies of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) on the implementation of the natural resources conservation provisions of Farm Bill legislation.

How to Get Assistance

Do you farm or ranch and want to make improvements to the land that you own or lease?

Natural Resources Conservation Service offers technical and financial assistance to help farmers, ranchers and forest landowners.

how to get started

To get started with NRCS, we recommend you stop by your local NRCS field office. We’ll discuss your vision for your land.

NRCS provides landowners with free technical assistance, or advice, for their land. Common technical assistance includes: resource assessment, practice design and resource monitoring. Your conservation planner will help you determine if financial assistance is right for you.

We’ll walk you through the application process. To get started on applying for financial assistance, we’ll work with you:

  • To fill out an AD 1026, which ensures a conservation plan is in place before lands with highly erodible soils are farmed. It also ensures that identified wetland areas are protected.
  • To meet other eligibility certifications.

Once complete, we’ll work with you on the application, or CPA 1200.

Applications for most programs are accepted on a continuous basis, but they’re considered for funding in different ranking periods. Be sure to ask your local NRCS district conservationist about the deadline for the ranking period to ensure you turn in your application in time.

As part of the application process, we’ll check to see if you are eligible. To do this, you’ll need to bring:

  • An official tax ID (Social Security number or an employer ID)
  • A property deed or lease agreement to show you have control of the property; and
  • A farm tract number.

If you don’t have a farm tract number, you can get one from USDA’s Farm Service Agency. Typically, the local FSA office is located in the same building as the local NRCS office. You only need a farm tract number if you’re interested in financial assistance.

NRCS will take a look at the applications and rank them according to local resource concerns, the amount of conservation benefits the work will provide and the needs of applicants.

If you’re selected, you can choose whether to sign the contract for the work to be done.

Once you sign the contract, you’ll be provided standards and specifications for completing the practice or practices, and then you will have a specified amount of time to implement. Once the work is implemented and inspected, you’ll be paid the rate of compensation for the work if it meets NRCS standards and specifications.