Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Ranchers' Paradise

Pacific Islands Area

The Pacific Islands Area includes the state of Hawai’i, territories of American Samoa, Guam, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Freely Associated States. We deliver conservation solutions so agricultural producers can protect natural resources and feed a growing world.

Who we are – NRCS Pacific Islands Area

The Pacific Islands Area (PIA) is known for its tropical natural beauty and its diverse and vibrant communities.

We are aware that being islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean make us vulnerable to natural disasters and the devasting effects of climate change. Every day our natural resources of fresh water, wildlife, and coral reefs are threatened making the importance of sustainable conservation solutions more critical than ever.

At the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), we protect, conserve, and restore the Pacific Islands Area’s natural resources. We help people help the land so that we can enjoy resilient islands with clean and abundant water, healthy soils, and thriving agricultural communities.

What we do

As an agency of the United States Department of Agriculture, NRCS is unique among all Federal Agencies. We accomplish our conservation goals through incentive-based voluntary participation. To get our work done, we build relationships and trust with our partners and program participants. Partnership with our local Soil and Water Conservation Districts are the key to continued success of our conservation work.

Conservationists in Field Office across Hawai‘i (Hilo, Waimea, Kealakekua, Kahului, Kaunakakai, O‘ahu, and Lihue), American Samoa, Guam, Saipan, Palau, and Pohnpei carry out our important mission to deliver conservation solutions so agricultural producers can protect natural resources and feed a growing world.

Conservation At Work in PIA

Pacific Islands Area State Office

  • 300 Ala Moana Boulevard
    Room #4-118
    Honolulu, HI 96850

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

State Programs and Initiatives

NRCS conservation programs help people reduce soil erosion, enhance water supplies, improve water quality, increase wildlife habitat, and reduce damages caused by floods and other natural disasters. NRCS provides funding opportunities for agricultural producers and other landowners through these programs. Public benefits include enhanced natural resources that help sustain agricultural productivity and environmental quality while supporting continued economic development, recreation, and scenic beauty.

USDA employees working with other agencies on land impacted by Maui wildfire.

State Payment Schedule

NRCS provides financial assistance for selected conservation practices. The availability and amount of financial assistance can vary between states.

Making hulu skirts.

Civil Rights Committee

The National Civil Rights Advisory Committee to the Chief (NCRACC) is designed to provide management officials and employees with counsel and advice to enhance and ensure compliance with their equal employment opportunity and program delivery responsibilities.

USDA NRCS having a meeting with landowners and farmers.

State Technical Committee

State Technical Committees serve in an advisory capacity to the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and other agencies of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) on the implementation of the natural resources conservation provisions of Farm Bill legislation.

How to Get Assistance

Do you farm or ranch and want to make improvements to the land that you own or lease?

Natural Resources Conservation Service offers technical and financial assistance to help farmers, ranchers and forest landowners.

how to get started

To get started with NRCS, we recommend you stop by your local NRCS field office. We’ll discuss your vision for your land.

NRCS provides landowners with free technical assistance, or advice, for their land. Common technical assistance includes: resource assessment, practice design and resource monitoring. Your conservation planner will help you determine if financial assistance is right for you.

We’ll walk you through the application process. To get started on applying for financial assistance, we’ll work with you:

  • To fill out an AD 1026, which ensures a conservation plan is in place before lands with highly erodible soils are farmed. It also ensures that identified wetland areas are protected.
  • To meet other eligibility certifications.

Once complete, we’ll work with you on the application, or CPA 1200.

Applications for most programs are accepted on a continuous basis, but they’re considered for funding in different ranking periods. Be sure to ask your local NRCS district conservationist about the deadline for the ranking period to ensure you turn in your application in time.

As part of the application process, we’ll check to see if you are eligible. To do this, you’ll need to bring:

  • An official tax ID (Social Security number or an employer ID)
  • A property deed or lease agreement to show you have control of the property; and
  • A farm number.

If you don’t have a farm number, you can get one from USDA’s Farm Service Agency. Typically, the local FSA office is located in the same building as the local NRCS office. You only need a farm number if you’re interested in financial assistance.

NRCS will take a look at the applications and rank them according to local resource concerns, the amount of conservation benefits the work will provide and the needs of applicants. View Application Ranking Dates by State.

If you’re selected, you can choose whether to sign the contract for the work to be done.

Once you sign the contract, you’ll be provided standards and specifications for completing the practice or practices, and then you will have a specified amount of time to implement. Once the work is implemented and inspected, you’ll be paid the rate of compensation for the work if it meets NRCS standards and specifications.