Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

A rancher and his dogs check fence lines in open country.

Rocky Point - White Swan Forest Resilience Project TIP

Apply by: October 28, 2022

This Targeted Implementation Plan (TIP) is available in Lake County, Montana. TIPs are local-level Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) initiatives used by NRCS in Montana to guide on-the-ground implementation of locally developed Long Range County Plans.

Project Description

County or Counties: Lake
Primary Resource Concern: Wildfire Hazard from Biomass Accumulation
Time Frame: Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 through FY 2024

The Ronan NRCS Field Office along with partners including the Lake County Conservation District (LCCD), Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (DNRC), Pablo NRCS Field Office, and the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes (CSKT) Forestry division, and private forest consultants, have identified the Rocky Point – White Swan area as a Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) Area in Lake County that is of high priority to be managed for fire resilience. The prioritized area is located on the southwestern border of Flathead Lake approximately five miles north of Polson. This area has been identified as a high priority because of the abundance of closed-canopy fuel loads, hilly terrain, numerous structures and dwellings, along with limited access roads that are narrow and winding thus posing a threat for evacuation situations to residents and emergency management officials. 

This TIP proposal covers approximately 5,000 acres with over 600 property owners. The ownership in the project area is mixed between private, tribal, and county with the majority being owned by CSKT (>3,000 acres) followed by privately owned land (>1,900 acres). Many small 1 to 10 acres parcels bordering the Flathead Lake area privately owned and include residences, cabins, and other structures. This TIP will work to reduce the risk of catastrophic wildfires within the identified area by working with private landowners and conservation partners.

Conservation Practices Offered

  • 666 Forest Stand Improvement
  • 384 Woody Residue Treatment
  • 383 Fuel Break

Detailed descriptions of these conservation practices can be found in the Field Office Technical Guide, Section 4 - Practice Standards and Supporting Documents.


  • Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
  • Lake County Conservation District
  • Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (DNRC)

When to Apply

Program applications are accepted on a continual basis. However, NRCS establishes application ranking dates for evaluation, ranking and approval of eligible applications. Applications received after the ranking date will be automatically deferred to the next funding period. See Montana Programs and Application Dates.

Local Ranking Questions

NRCS uses these questions to evaluate eligible applications for this project and to prioritize applications for potential funding.

  1. Are the treated acres within 1000’ of any forest thinning or fuel reduction units that are planned or have been completed in the last 5 years?
  2. Are the treated acres adjacent and within ¼ miles to a primary ingress/egress route that would be critical to residents or first responders in the event of a wildfire?
  3. Is Fuel Break a contracted practice?
  4. Is this contract planned such that all items are scheduled for completion within the first two years of obligation?

Additional Montana Information

Targeted Implementation Plans (TIPs) are local-level Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) initiatives used by NRCS in Montana to guide on-the-ground implementation of locally developed Long Range County Plans. These plans are part of the "Focused Conservation” strategy to guide Montana's EQIP investments. Learn more about Montana Focused Conservation and Targeted Implementation Plans.

Additional Information

Ready to get started?

Contact your local service center to start your application.

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

How to Get Assistance

Do you farm or ranch and want to make improvements to the land that you own or lease?

Natural Resources Conservation Service offers technical and financial assistance to help farmers, ranchers and forest landowners.

how to get started

To get started with NRCS, we recommend you stop by your local NRCS field office. We’ll discuss your vision for your land.

NRCS provides landowners with free technical assistance, or advice, for their land. Common technical assistance includes: resource assessment, practice design and resource monitoring. Your conservation planner will help you determine if financial assistance is right for you.

We’ll walk you through the application process. To get started on applying for financial assistance, we’ll work with you:

  • To fill out an AD 1026, which ensures a conservation plan is in place before lands with highly erodible soils are farmed. It also ensures that identified wetland areas are protected.
  • To meet other eligibility certifications.

Once complete, we’ll work with you on the application, or CPA 1200.

Applications for most programs are accepted on a continuous basis, but they’re considered for funding in different ranking periods. Be sure to ask your local NRCS district conservationist about the deadline for the ranking period to ensure you turn in your application in time.

As part of the application process, we’ll check to see if you are eligible. To do this, you’ll need to bring:

  • An official tax ID (Social Security number or an employer ID)
  • A property deed or lease agreement to show you have control of the property; and
  • A farm tract number.

If you don’t have a farm tract number, you can get one from USDA’s Farm Service Agency. Typically, the local FSA office is located in the same building as the local NRCS office. You only need a farm tract number if you’re interested in financial assistance.

NRCS will take a look at the applications and rank them according to local resource concerns, the amount of conservation benefits the work will provide and the needs of applicants.

If you’re selected, you can choose whether to sign the contract for the work to be done.

Once you sign the contract, you’ll be provided standards and specifications for completing the practice or practices, and then you will have a specified amount of time to implement. Once the work is implemented and inspected, you’ll be paid the rate of compensation for the work if it meets NRCS standards and specifications.