Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

A rancher and his dogs check fence lines in open country.

Fly Creek Drainage Water Quality Improvement TIP


This Targeted Implementation Plan (TIP) is available in Big Horn and Yellowstone Counties, Montana. TIPs are local-level Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) initiatives used by NRCS in Montana to guide on-the-ground implementation of locally developed Long Range County Plans.

Project Description

County or Counties: Big Horn, Yellowstone
Primary Resource Concern: Livestock production limitation: inadequate livestock water quantity, quality and distribution
Time Frame: Fiscal Year (FY) 2023 through FY 2027

Surface and ground water in the area around Fly Creek in Big Horn and Yellowstone Counties are documented to have levels of sulfates greatly exceeding the recommended levels for livestock.  This Targeted Implementation Plan (TIP) will address the urgent need to provide safe drinking water for livestock.  The TIP will also begin the significant process of addressing water quality in the Fly Creek watershed through riparian fencing, outreach, and water quality (ground and surface) monitoring.

Conservation Practices Offered

  • 724 Water Treatment Facility
  • 313 Waste Storage Facility
  • 521 Pond Sealing or Lining
  • 382 Fence
  • 351 Well Decommissioning
  • 614 Watering Facility
  • 516 Livestock Pipeline
  • 355 Groundwater Testing
  • 642 Water Well
  • 533 Pumping Plant

Detailed descriptions of these conservation practices can be found in the Field Office Technical Guide, Section 4 - Practice Standards and Supporting Documents.

Project Partners

  • Big Horn Conservation District (BHCD)
  • Big Horn Conservation District (BHCD)
  • Pheasants Forever (PF)
  • Montana State University (MSU) Extension Big Horn and Yellowstone Counties
  • Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology (MBMG)
  • Montana Salinity Control Association (MSCA)

When to Apply

Program applications are accepted on a continual basis. However, NRCS establishes application ranking dates for evaluation, ranking and approval of eligible applications. Applications received after the ranking date will be automatically deferred to the next funding period. See Montana Programs and Application Dates.

Local Ranking Questions

NRCS uses these questions to evaluate eligible applications for this project and to prioritize applications for potential funding.

  1. Does the proposed project involve Well Decommissioning?
  2. Yes, well decommissioning is needed and will be contracted.
  3. No, there are no wells that need to be decommissioned.
  4. There are existing wells that can be decommissioned, but the participant does not wish to decommission them.
  5. Does the proposed project involve Watering Facility?
  6. Does the proposed project involve fencing out livestock from Fly Creek?
  7. Does the proposed project involve Livestock Water Treatment Facility?

Additional Montana Information

Targeted Implementation Plans (TIPs) are local-level Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) initiatives used by NRCS in Montana to guide on-the-ground implementation of locally developed Long Range County Plans. These plans are part of the "Focused Conservation” strategy to guide Montana's EQIP investments. Learn more about Montana Focused Conservation and Targeted Implementation Plans.

Additional Information

Ready to get started?

Contact your local service center to start your application.

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

How to Get Assistance

Do you farm or ranch and want to make improvements to the land that you own or lease?

Natural Resources Conservation Service offers technical and financial assistance to help farmers, ranchers and forest landowners.

how to get started

To get started with NRCS, we recommend you stop by your local NRCS field office. We’ll discuss your vision for your land.

NRCS provides landowners with free technical assistance, or advice, for their land. Common technical assistance includes: resource assessment, practice design and resource monitoring. Your conservation planner will help you determine if financial assistance is right for you.

We’ll walk you through the application process. To get started on applying for financial assistance, we’ll work with you:

  • To fill out an AD 1026, which ensures a conservation plan is in place before lands with highly erodible soils are farmed. It also ensures that identified wetland areas are protected.
  • To meet other eligibility certifications.

Once complete, we’ll work with you on the application, or CPA 1200.

Applications for most programs are accepted on a continuous basis, but they’re considered for funding in different ranking periods. Be sure to ask your local NRCS district conservationist about the deadline for the ranking period to ensure you turn in your application in time.

As part of the application process, we’ll check to see if you are eligible. To do this, you’ll need to bring:

  • An official tax ID (Social Security number or an employer ID)
  • A property deed or lease agreement to show you have control of the property; and
  • A farm tract number.

If you don’t have a farm tract number, you can get one from USDA’s Farm Service Agency. Typically, the local FSA office is located in the same building as the local NRCS office. You only need a farm tract number if you’re interested in financial assistance.

NRCS will take a look at the applications and rank them according to local resource concerns, the amount of conservation benefits the work will provide and the needs of applicants.

If you’re selected, you can choose whether to sign the contract for the work to be done.

Once you sign the contract, you’ll be provided standards and specifications for completing the practice or practices, and then you will have a specified amount of time to implement. Once the work is implemented and inspected, you’ll be paid the rate of compensation for the work if it meets NRCS standards and specifications.