Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

closeup of green grains in a field

Conservation Stewardship Program - North Dakota


The Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) helps you build on your existing conservation efforts while strengthening your operation. 

North Dakota NRCS Announces CSP Signup – March 1, 2024

North Dakota NRCS has set the next batching period deadline for the Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) Classic and the CSP-IRA Program to March 1, 2024, for applications to be considered for funding in Fiscal Year (FY) 2024. 

Please contact your local USDA Service Center for Assistance.

North Dakota Announces ACT NOW Application Process for CSP

ACT NOW allows NRCS to approve and obligate a ranked application in a designated ranking pool(s) when an eligible application meets or exceeds a State-determined minimum ranking score. This means no longer having to wait for all applications to be reviewed and preapproved in a ranking pool. Ranking and preapprovals will continue until May 3, 2024, or until funds are expended, whichever comes first.

State Determined Minimum Threshold: 10 points.

Applicable Fund Pools: Beginning Farmer, Socially Disadvantaged, Organic, IRA-CSP, NIPF, NE Zone, NW Zone, SE Zone, and the SW Zone.


Round 1 – April 5, 2024 
Round 2 - May 3, 2024

ND NRCS Announces Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) funding through Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP)

The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 will provide assistance to agricultural and forestland producers to invest in climate and clean energy solutions and promote climate-related benefits through Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) programs. A select list of practices and their facilitating practices are eligible for this sign-up. Please contact your local field office for more information.

Approved Locations: North Dakota
Application Deadline: March 1, 2024

Your Stewardship Goals. Our Assistance.

Have you ever looked across your property and thought about some land management goals you would like to take to the next level? Maybe we can help.

No one knows more about your land than you do, and no one knows more about conservation than we do. Together we can develop a plan tailored to your land and your goals to help you increase productivity and protect the value of your land.

Our Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) helps you build on your existing conservation efforts while strengthening your operation. Whether you are looking to improve grazing conditions, increase crop yields, or develop wildlife habitat, we can custom design a CSP plan to help you meet those goals. We can help you schedule timely planting of cover crops, develop a grazing plan that will improve your forage base, implement no-till to reduce erosion or manage forested areas in a way that benefits wildlife habitat.  If you are already taking steps to improve the condition of the land, chances are CSP can help you find new ways to meet your goals.

Sustainable Production

CSP is for working lands. It is the largest conservation program in the United States with more than 70 million acres of productive agricultural and forest land enrolled in CSP. Thousands of people that have made the choice to voluntarily enroll in the program because it helps them enhance natural resources and improve their business operation.

CSP participants are seeing real results. Some of these benefits include:

  • Improved cattle gains per acre
  • Increased crop yields
  • Decreased inputs
  • Wildlife population improvements
  • Better resilience to weather extremes

2023 Enhancements and Bundles
2022 Enhancements and Bundles
2021 Enhancements

2019 Conservation Stewardship Program
2018 Conservation Stewardship Program

North Dakota Program Contacts:

Jarvis R. Keney
Assistant State Conservationist (Programs)
Phone: (701) 530.2005


Ronald W. Herr
Resource Conservationist (Programs)
Phone: (701) 530.2051


Ready to get started?

Contact your local service center to start your application.

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

How to Get Assistance

Do you farm or ranch and want to make improvements to the land that you own or lease?

Natural Resources Conservation Service offers technical and financial assistance to help farmers, ranchers and forest landowners.

how to get started

To get started with NRCS, we recommend you stop by your local NRCS field office. We’ll discuss your vision for your land.

NRCS provides landowners with free technical assistance, or advice, for their land. Common technical assistance includes: resource assessment, practice design and resource monitoring. Your conservation planner will help you determine if financial assistance is right for you.

We’ll walk you through the application process. To get started on applying for financial assistance, we’ll work with you:

  • To fill out an AD 1026, which ensures a conservation plan is in place before lands with highly erodible soils are farmed. It also ensures that identified wetland areas are protected.
  • To meet other eligibility certifications.

Once complete, we’ll work with you on the application, or CPA 1200.

Applications for most programs are accepted on a continuous basis, but they’re considered for funding in different ranking periods. Be sure to ask your local NRCS district conservationist about the deadline for the ranking period to ensure you turn in your application in time.

As part of the application process, we’ll check to see if you are eligible. To do this, you’ll need to bring:

  • An official tax ID (Social Security number or an employer ID)
  • A property deed or lease agreement to show you have control of the property; and
  • A farm number.

If you don’t have a farm number, you can get one from USDA’s Farm Service Agency. Typically, the local FSA office is located in the same building as the local NRCS office. You only need a farm number if you’re interested in financial assistance.

NRCS will take a look at the applications and rank them according to local resource concerns, the amount of conservation benefits the work will provide and the needs of applicants. View Application Ranking Dates by State.

If you’re selected, you can choose whether to sign the contract for the work to be done.

Once you sign the contract, you’ll be provided standards and specifications for completing the practice or practices, and then you will have a specified amount of time to implement. Once the work is implemented and inspected, you’ll be paid the rate of compensation for the work if it meets NRCS standards and specifications.