Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Rhode Island CIG - Drone flight at Newport Vineyards - Dec2020.

Conservation Innovation Grants - Rhode Island

Apply by: June 24, 2023

NRCS has up to $170,000 in FY 2023 Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG) funding to stimulate the development and adoption of innovative conservation approaches and technologies in conjunction with agricultural production in Rhode Island.

Aerial view of Mt. Toby Farm (left of Connecticut River), in Sunderland, MA, has worked with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resources and Conservation Service (NRCS) to create their conservation plan that includes the use of Forage and biomass Planting  (512) and Establish and reseed their cover crop during the cool season, on October 18, 2019. Working with Natural Resource Specialist / Business Tools Coordinator Lisa Gilbert who records the progress with the conservation plan. USDA Photo

Learn More About CIG

Explore the new CIG website to learn about funding opportunities, find grantee resources, access information about past projects, and more.

2023 Rhode Island CIG

NRCS has up to $170,000 in FY 2023 Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG) funding to stimulate the development and adoption of innovative conservation approaches and technologies in conjunction with agricultural production in Rhode Island.

Applications are requested from eligible government agencies, non-governmental organizations or individuals. Funds are awarded through a competitive process. Projects may be between one and three years in duration (anticipated project start date of September 15, 2023). The maximum award amount for any individual project will not exceed $170,000 in FY 2023. At least 10 percent of the total funds available for CIG in FY 2023 will be set aside for proposals from Historically Underserved producers, veteran farmers or ranchers, or community-based organizations comprised of or representing these entities. The closing date to submit 2023 applications is June 24, 2023.

For details or to apply please visit and search for funding opportunity number USDA-NRCS-RI-CIG-23-NOFO0003101.

Rhode Island CIG Priorities for 2023

For Fiscal Year 2023, CIG will focus on the following topics – one or more may be selected for proposals:

  1. Aquatic Resources and Wildlife
  • Develop innovative practices to mitigate coastal marsh migration and support coastal resiliency while benefiting wildlife species of special needs.
  • Implement strategies to restore declining coastal habitats.
  • Develop strategies to recycle or re-use shell for restoration of oyster reefs.
  1. Urban and Small-Scale Farms
  • Develop and/or demonstrate adapted conservation practices for farming operations located in urban high-density settings.
  • Develop an urban conservation farm showcase to provide training to urban farmers on urban conservation strategies.
  • Innovations for small-scale composting operations.
  1. Water Quality and Quantity
  • Develop innovative erosion control practices that help to minimize sediment transport off agricultural areas. – such as hydraulically applied soil stabilization or use of flocculants.
  • Develop innovative methods to conserve water on agricultural operations.
  1. Soil Health
  • Demonstrate and quantify impacts of soil health promoting practices.
  1. Climate-Smart Agriculture and Forestry (CSAF)
  • Develop innovative conservation practice scenarios, guidelines, and recommendations when using mitigating CSAF.
  • Develop CSAF showcases on mitigating activities and strategies within farming operations.

Proposed projects must be performed in Rhode Island.

More information

For more information on how to apply, including Webinars, Sample grant application documents, and guides to federal grant applications, please visit For funding opportunity details or to apply please visit and search for funding opportunity number USDA-NRCS-RI-CIG-23-NOFO0003101.

Documents & Publications

Ready to get started?

Contact your local service center to start your application.

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

How to Get Assistance

Do you farm or ranch and want to make improvements to the land that you own or lease?

Natural Resources Conservation Service offers technical and financial assistance to help farmers, ranchers and forest landowners.

how to get started

To get started with NRCS, we recommend you stop by your local NRCS field office. We’ll discuss your vision for your land.

NRCS provides landowners with free technical assistance, or advice, for their land. Common technical assistance includes: resource assessment, practice design and resource monitoring. Your conservation planner will help you determine if financial assistance is right for you.

We’ll walk you through the application process. To get started on applying for financial assistance, we’ll work with you:

  • To fill out an AD 1026, which ensures a conservation plan is in place before lands with highly erodible soils are farmed. It also ensures that identified wetland areas are protected.
  • To meet other eligibility certifications.

Once complete, we’ll work with you on the application, or CPA 1200.

Applications for most programs are accepted on a continuous basis, but they’re considered for funding in different ranking periods. Be sure to ask your local NRCS district conservationist about the deadline for the ranking period to ensure you turn in your application in time.

As part of the application process, we’ll check to see if you are eligible. To do this, you’ll need to bring:

  • An official tax ID (Social Security number or an employer ID)
  • A property deed or lease agreement to show you have control of the property; and
  • A farm number.

If you don’t have a farm number, you can get one from USDA’s Farm Service Agency. Typically, the local FSA office is located in the same building as the local NRCS office. You only need a farm number if you’re interested in financial assistance.

NRCS will take a look at the applications and rank them according to local resource concerns, the amount of conservation benefits the work will provide and the needs of applicants. View Application Ranking Dates by State.

If you’re selected, you can choose whether to sign the contract for the work to be done.

Once you sign the contract, you’ll be provided standards and specifications for completing the practice or practices, and then you will have a specified amount of time to implement. Once the work is implemented and inspected, you’ll be paid the rate of compensation for the work if it meets NRCS standards and specifications.