NRCS PIA FY 2023 Funding Available to Support Conservation Solutions Through Strategic Partnerships in the Pacific Islands Area
Completed application packages must be submitted via Grants.gov by 11:59 pm Eastern Time on June 16, 2023.
HONOLULU, HI, May 09, 2023 - USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is announcing a funding opportunity for agreements that address Pacific Island Area-specific conservation issues. The proposal deadline is 11:59 pm Eastern Time on June 16, 2023. Proposals will be accepted from non-profit organizations; state, territorial, city and county governments; and public, private, and state controlled institutions of higher education.
Through the PIA Conservation Solutions Through Strategic Partnerships Award, successful projects will address local natural resource issues, encourage collaboration, and develop state and community level conservation leadership in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
The purpose of the awards will be to leverage NRCS and partner resources on proposals that address the strategic goals of the PIA NRCS Strategic Plan. Proposal must address one or more of the following PIA NRCS priorities:
- Accelerate conservation results through strategic partnerships that support PIA’s locally led, targeted conservation delivery model for the Lihue or Saipan Field Offices, including the development of a long range plan identifying resource concerns and priorities for the local agricultural community.
- Increase adoption and implementation of soil health plans by organizing interactive feedback, education, and outreach events to engage customer interest in soil health management systems and plans.
- Evaluate carbon and nitrogen cycles in local cropping systems to assess impacts of established conservation practices on soil organic matter and soil carbon.
- Support innovative projects and programs that amplify outcomes for:
- Economics of Soil Health
- Soil Carbon Amendments (as per NRCS Conservation Practice Standard) (Soil Carbon Amendment – Code 336; included under Other Related Documents of the NFO)
- Watershed Function
- Economics of Soil Health
NRCS anticipates up to $1 million will be available for projects lasting between 1 and 5 years. Individual projects are eligible to receive a minimum of $50,000.00 and no project will be awarded more than $250,000.00. A webinar will be held on A webinar for applicants is scheduled for May 31, 2023, at 1:00 p.m. Hawaii Standard Time. Information on how to participate in the webinar will be posted to posted to the NRCS PIA website (https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/events.)
Completed application packages must be submitted via Grants.gov by 11:59 pm Eastern Time on June 16, 2023. This notice of funding opportunity is posted on www.grants.gov under opportunity number: USDA-NRCS-HI-MULTI-23-NOFO0001287. Proposals must be submitted electronically at www.grants.gov.
USDA is an equal opportunity employer, provider and lende