The goal of the LGBTEP is to provide awareness and education to NRCS employees and partners while focusing on such issues as employment, retention, promotion, training, career development, and advancement opportunities affecting LGBT applicants and employees at NRCS.
The LGBT Emphasis Program is an integral part of the overall equal employment opportunity (EEO) program and is designed to:
- Ensure that lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and transgender people receive equal treatment in all aspects of employment.
- Increase the number of LGBT people employed in all professional, administrative, technical, clerical, and other categories, series, and grade levels.
- Provide opportunities to participate in training, career development, and leadership programs.
- Encourage the participation of LGBT populations in all NRCS-sponsored programs and activities.
- Provide a network of professional support for LGBT employees.
- Educate all NRCS employees by raising the level of awareness of LGBT workplace issues and concerns.
Did you know that it's legal in 30 states to fire someone simply because they're gay, and in 37 states because of a persons gender identity? Across the United States, companies can and do legally fire gay and transgender people for reasons that have nothing to do with job performance. The NRCS is devoted to providing a diverse workforce and is committed to the civil rights of our customers and employees. Due to a recent amendment, sexual orientation is now included in our agency's Non-Discrimination Statement.
Other Related Links
- The Human Rights Campaign America's largest civil rights organization working to achieve LGBT equality.
- Out and Equal Workplace Advocates Learn about current non-discrimination legislation and register for informative meetings and summits on LGBT workplace issues.
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) LGBT Project search legal cases and documents, news articles, blogs, and other media for current LGBT issues.
- ACLU Map of Non-Discrimination Laws in the United States
- Diversity Inc Multiple articles on LGBT and diversity related workplace issues; rates and lists top companies for diversity
- Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network Organization for students, parents, and teachers; great resources on anti-bullying support, research, policy, programs, and training initiatives
- Pride Collective and Community Center Organization working to support the local GLBT community in North Dakota
- NDSU Safe Zone Local resources on the Safe Zone program and on becoming an Ally
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) Promotes the health and well-being of LGBT persons through support, education, and advocacy
Gay-Straight Alliance Resources on peer support, leadership development, and training
Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender Program Manager
Management and Program Analyst, Jamestown FO