Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Photo of a New England Cottontail bunny near bushes.

NRCS Accepting Applications for ACEP-Wetland Reserve Easements (10-22-2022)

Are you an agricultural landowner or eligible entity interested in protecting the integrity of your property and the wildlife that lives on it? Maybe you’re a farmer with a deep connection to your land or interest in protecting the future of the nation’s food supply? Why not consider safeguarding your land with a conservation easement through the USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). NRCS accepts applications year round; however, applications for FY2023 funding are being accepted from now until November 30, 2022.

The Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP) protects the agricultural viability and related conservation values of eligible land by limiting nonagricultural uses which negatively affect agricultural uses and conservation values, protect grazing uses and related conservation values by restoring or conserving eligible grazing land, and protecting and restoring and enhancing wetlands on eligible land. Under the WRE component, funding is provided directly to landowners for the purchase of an easement and for restoration. Wetland reserve easements allow landowners to successfully restore, enhance, and protect habitat for wildlife on their lands, reduce damage from flooding, recharge groundwater, and provide outdoor recreational and educational opportunities. Eligible landowners may choose to enroll in a permanent or 30-year easement; tribal landowners also have the option of enrolling in 30-year contracts. Eligible lands include farmed or converted wetlands that can be successfully and cost-effectively restored.

Land eligible for agricultural easements includes cropland, grassland, and pastureland; non-industrial private forest land may be enrolled when associated with active agricultural land. Native American Tribes, state and local governments, and non-governmental organizations that have farmland or grassland protection programs are eligible to partner with NRCS to purchase conservation easements.

Enrolling agricultural land helps secure the future of the nation’s food supply, prevents it from being developed or going to a non-agricultural use, and provides public benefits including environmental quality, historic preservation, wildlife habitat, and protection of open space.

Applications must be submitted by November 30, 2022, to:

      Carol Grasis
      Assistant State Conservationist for Programs
      USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service
      344 Merrow Road, Suite A
      Tolland, CT 06084-3917

Not sure how to begin? Visit the ACEP section on our website where you will find information on benefits, how to apply, all the forms you will need, and more.  

To speak to someone about filling out eligibility forms with the Farm Service Agency (FSA), or to obtain an application, contact your local USDA Service Center: Danielson – (860) 779-0557; Hamden – (203) 287-8038; Norwich – (860) 887-3604; Torrington – (860) 626-8852; Windsor – (860) 688-7725; Connecticut State Office, Tolland – (860) 871-4028.