Virginia Earth Team
Virginia NRCS collaborates with local Soil and Water Conservation Districts to identify and fill needs for individuals/groups to work alongside us in the field and in the office. Our state Earth Team Advisory Committee (listed below) guides volunteer activities, tracks hours donated and ensures that their efforts are recognized through state and national awards.
- Barbara Bowen, State Volunteer Coordinator
- Brenda Craig, Area I Volunteer Coordinator
- Brittany Owens, Area II Volunteer Coordinator
- Aneka Collins, Area III Volunteer Coordinator
- Wendy Mears, Area IV Volunteer Coordinator
- Alexandra Schmidt, NRCS Field Representative
- Maura Christian, Virginia Association of Soil & Water Conservation Districts
Your Area Volunteer Coordinator will be happy to plug you into our volunteer network and can provide more information on opportunities in each of our 41 service center locations (see map for coverage areas). Our Volunteer Interest and Placement Summary form is a good way to get started. Ongoing activities include, but are not limited to:
- Environmental and conservation education, including outdoor classrooms
- Water quality testing or monitoring
- Planting of vegetative material
- Marketing, promotion, and information
- Tours and demonstrations
- Technology transfer, and administrative and management functions
- Conservation partnership projects and activities
Visit volunteer.gov for additional volunteer opportunities with the federal government.
Virginia Volunteer Contacts
Virginia Earth Team Award Winners
Virginia volunteers have received state, regional and national awards. These volunteers have gone above and beyond working with NRCS and our partner agencies to help meet our conservation goals.