Report Generator Announcements and Release Notes
January 15, 2014 - Implementation of new Air-Water Database (AWDB) network codes is scheduled for Tuesday, January 21, 2014. NRCS stations will be assigned to a network based on sensor criteria and data collection objectives. These changes apply only to NRCS-managed stations. Most stations will remain assigned to network=SNTL (SNOTEL).
Report Generator users who currently retrieve data for the affected stations using network=SNTL will no longer receive data following implementation of the network code reassignments on January 21, 2014. Therefore, some bookmarked reports may not return all the expected data. Reports created in Report Generator must use new network codes to return data for these stations.
To summarize the scope of the reassignment:
- ~210 stations (207 active) will be reassigned from network=SNTL to network=SCAN.
- ~30 (all active) stations will be reassigned from network=SNTL to network=SNTLT.
- ~10 stations will be reassigned from network=SNTL to network=OTHER.
Release 2.0 - November 2016
Improved report selection input:
- Enhanced station auto-complete works with all station identifier styles.
- Enhanced HUC metadata support allows query by 2-digit through 12-digit HUC codes.
- Added value types: QC flag, Reservoir Capacity and % of Reservoir Capacity.
- Selections for report Layout, Units and Format are restored correctly when returning to Create/Modify tab.
- Fixed a number of minor interaction defects.
Improved report output:
- Data can be reported as of start or end of data period, at user choice. NRCS data can be easily comparable with other data sources.
- Multi-station, multi-column “Time Series” reports group output columns by station for clarity.
- Enhanced Chart output: multi-station charts, logarithmic scale option, better legend and tool-tips.
- Enhanced CSV support: automatically opens CSV data in a new browser tab; recommends CSV output when HTML rendering will run long.
- Corrected sorting of report output, including by columns within Time Series reports.
- Better saved-report URLs: sort order, log-scale chart, other options are encoded in the URL to give the intended report output immediately.
- Report Details view describes data elements used in the report output, on Report Details tab in browser, and included inline in CSV output.
Release 1.3 - June 2014
- Fixed a defect that significantly reduces the delay when switching from the 'View Report' tab to the 'Create/Modify Report 'tab when lots of stations are selected.
- Modified the 'View Station Information' panel so that the images are only loaded when a user navigates to the site. This significantly reduces the time to load the page when the 'View Station Information' panel is displayed. This also significantly reduces the number of hits to the Google Maps API so that users don't exceed their daily limit on the number of hits that they are allowed for the Google Maps API.
- Modified the application so that when users switch between the 'Create/Modify Report' and the 'View Report' tabs, a progress dialog is displayed. This lets users know that the page is still loading and prevents users from entering information and then losing that information they've entered when the page finally loads.
- Fixed defect that was causing empty rows to show up at the beginning of a report when using the Calendar Year or Water Year Group By Month layouts.
- Fixed defect that was causing users to see the 'Cannot create report - no data found' message while a report was loading.
- Added a checkbox called 'Fit Chart to Screen' on the 'View Report' tab. If this checkbox is check (the default), the chart will resize to the browser width. If the checkbox is unchecked, the chart will be a fixed size and will not resize as the browser window is resized.
- Modified the legend in charts so that the series names are word wrapped with a maximum of 30 characters per line.
- Removed the buffer from the y-axis of charts so that if the data starts at 0 the chart will now start at 0.
- Units are no longer displayed in the "% of" columns.
- Changed the location of the tooltips that popup when you hover over the points in a chart so that the tooltip is displayed in the top-right of the point instead of top-left. This prevents the tooltip from getting cut off when hovering over the first point in a chart.
- Renamed the 'Generate Report' button to 'View Report' to be consistent with the 'View Report' tab.
Release 1.2 - May 2014
- When using Internet Explorer, the pages now render correctly when Compatibility View is OFF, but may no longer work correctly when Compatibility View is enabled.
- Changed the user interface components to a different vendor. The new interface looks and feels very similar, but is slightly different. This should help background processing performance.
- Changed charting implementation to add features and improve usability. The following charting features were added:
- Users can hover over the series to display the exact value, series name, and date of the value.
- If multiple series are plotted, users can toggle any of the series on or off by clicking on the series name in the legend.
- The width of the chart automatically adjusts to fit the browser width as the browser width is resized.
- Charts can be exported to an image (charts are converted to an image and displayed in a window when the "Export Chart As Image" button is pressed. Users can then right-click on the image to save the image).
- Added a button with some 'Help' information about charting.
- Added the ability to zoom into a specific area of a chart (by clicking on chart and drawing a rectangle around the area to be zoomed. Reset zoom by double-clicking anywhere on the chart).
- Added an indeterminate progress bar on the Advanced Search screen that will display while a search is pending.
- Added a status indicator in the bottom right corner of the screen that will show up indicate whenever the application is waiting for some background processing to complete.
- Added the ability to time slice across multiple durations (for example, an hourly report can be narrowed to only view data for 1 or more specific months, days, and/or hours).
- Added support for requesting water year PRCP normals.
- Now filters the list of selectable Depth options based on what is available for the selected site(s) and element.
- On the View Report tab, eliminated paging, and instead replaced it with an option to fit the table to the screen. This sizes the table based on the browser size, and freezes the header row and makes the table a scrolling table.
- On the View Report tab, changed the output formats so that they are in a menu like all of the other options instead of having icons that change based on which formats are available.
- Hourly data now obeys the same rules as daily+ data with regard to shifting summary data (such as TMAX) to the correct interval.
- No longer performs precision rounding prior to converting data to requested units.
- Delta column headers now specify units.
- Group by layouts now always have month headers across the top, even if there is only 1 data column.
- Added month/day/hour information to report headers.
- Replaced 'Last 3 Months' option with 'Last Month' option.
- 'Current Year' and 'Current Water Year' selections now generate a report for dates up to the end of the water year rather than halting on today's date. This allows always viewing a full year's worth of entries when normal data is requested.
- Prevented crashes due to trying to request reports using hourly normals/averages/medians, which don't exist.
- Fixed defect causing functions on normals to only return Jan results.
- Fixed metadata only reports sometimes incorrectly being blocked by the max report size check.
- Fixed a layout issue where the site image and related station information was not rendering correctly in Chrome browsers.
- Fixed defect resulting in some water year reports displaying 1 year more data than requested.
- Fixed defect that sometimes caused group by period of record layouts to not start on the expected month.
- Fixed layout issue when using a 'Previous Year's Value' column.
- Fixed defect that was preventing the ability to plot any of the "% of" columns such as "% of Normal".
Release 1.1 - February 2014
- Improved performance when searching for and removing stations.
- Sorting the selected station list will now also sort the Station Information list.
- Removed the Group Element by Month layout (which used the begin date and sometimes created unexpected month ordering) and replaced it with two, new fixed-format group by month layouts:
Water Year - Group by Month, which will always format the report output to begin in October and display by water year.
Calendar Year - Group by Month, which will always format the report output to begin in January and display by calendar year.
Bookmarked group by URLs will continue to work for now and will create water year layouts.
- Fixed several defects in water year requests causing missing data for several elements or data that was returned 1 year off.
- Fixed a defect in requesting deltas and prior values for elements with a depth causing no data to be returned.
Release 1.0 - September 2013
- Modified how the reports are generated to significantly improve performance (for everything except charts. Chart performance will be enhanced in a future release). PDF output had to be removed (except for charts) because the technology used to generate the newer reports doesn't support PDF output.
- Significantly improved the performance of reports that include columns where a function is used.
- The list of available networks and their stations is now database-driven and certain stations have moved (SCAN stations are now under SCAN instead of SNOTEL).
- Changed the look and feel of the rendered reports to better match the application's theme.
- Added paging to the reports. This improves performance and gives users the option to view data in small chunks.
- Modified the CSV output so that instead of prompting the user to save a file, it just opens the CSV output in a separate browser window. Users can save to a file by using the browser's save-as option.
- Column headings for element names now come from the database.
- Added the 'Period of Record' option when selecting a 'Time Period'.
- Added the ability to change the duration and/or time period on the view report page.
- Added the metadata columns 'Start Date', 'End Date', 'Network Code' and 'Network Name'.
- Added the ability to remove sites from a query based search. So, now if you go to 'Advanced Search' and search for all 'SNOTEL' sites in 'OR', after you click the search button, you can still remove individual sites. The sites that are removed get excluded from the search criteria.
- Added a new View Station Information panel at the top of the page. When expanded, this panel displays site metadata, a site image and Googlemap view (if available) for the currently selected station, and links to common reports for this type of station (for example a SNOTEL site will have links to the standard sensors and snow depth reports available on the site pages).
- Data for observed streamflow now always comes from the AWDB database instead of directly fetching it from USGS.
- Delta columns no longer show a missing value as the first value; the first value will be skipped and the first delta value will be shown.
- Fixed the defect where the current day's hourly data would not be shown when "Custom" dates were chosen.
- Fixed the defect where monthly normals would be missing when the start month was greater than the end month (for example, if you had asked for monthly normals 2011-12-01 to 2013-01-01, you would've only got values for Dec 2011, Jan 2012, Dec 2012, and Jan 2013).
- Fixed defect that prevented running metadata-only reports and removed the inapplicable date column.
- Added a check to make sure that if a "custom" date range is used, that both the custom begin and end dates are supplied.
- Removed PII fields from the user feedback form.
- Changed how the 'Group Elements by Month' layout is implemented so that it essentially runs the 'Standard' layout report and then reformats the data afterwards. This prevents errors where the data in the 'Group Elements by Month' layout might have been different from the values in the report when the 'Standard' layout was chosen. This also improves the performance of reports using this layout.
- Removed "beta" from the URL. Bookmarked URLs with "beta" in them will continue to work for now - but this support may be removed in a future release.