Skip Navigation

Healthy Forests Reserve Program

HFRP Homepage Header
The Healthy Forests Reserve Program (HFRP) helps landowners restore, enhance and protect forestland resources on private lands through easements and financial assistance. Through HRFP, landowners promote the recovery of endangered or threatened species, improve plant and animal biodiversity and enhance carbon sequestration.


HFRP provides landowners with 10-year restoration agreements and 30-year or permanent easements for specific conservation actions. For acreage owned by an Indian tribe, there is an additional enrollment option of a 30-year contract. Some landowners may avoid regulatory restrictions under the Endangered Species Act by restoring or improving habitat on their land for a specified period of time.


In Washington State, HFRP is only available through the Regional Conservation Partnership Program (RCPP). For more information on RCPP, visit the Washington RCPP webpage, or the national RCPP webpage.

HFRP applicants must provide proof of ownership, or an operator (tenant) must provide written concurrence from the landowner of tenancy for the period of the HFRP restoration agreement in order to be eligible. Land enrolled in HFRP easements must be privately owned or owned by Indian tribes and restore, enhance or measurably increase the recovery of threatened or endangered species, improve biological diversity or increase carbon storage.

How to Apply

In Washington State, eligible landowners/operators need to apply through the Regional Conservation Partnership Program (RCPP). The following RCPP projects and the identified endangered/threatened species are eligible for HFRP funding:

1672 Yakima Integrated Plan – Toppenish to Tenaway (Salmon)

1650 SW Washington NIPF Conservation Partnership (Species Spotted owl and Marbled murrelet)

1412 Greater Spokane River Implementation (species Flammulated owl)


Visit your local USDA Service Center to for more info or visit

More information

HFRP Fact Sheet (PDF, 2.8MB)

National HFRP Program Page

To learn how to get started with NRCS, visit

Find your local USDA Service Center

Washington State Contact:

Dave Kreft
ACEP Coordinator
316 W. Boone, Ste. 450
Spokane, WA 99201-2348
Phone: 509-332-2911