Skip Navigation

Healthy Forests Reserve Program

Healthy Forest Reserve Program




The Healthy Forests Reserve Program (HFRP) offers financial assistance to help landowners restore, enhance and protect privately-owned forests through conservation easements.


HFRP supports the recovery of endangered and threatened species under the Endangered Species Act, improves plant and animal biodiversity and enhances carbon sequestration. The program offers 10-year restoration agreements and 30-year or permanent easements for specific conservation actions. American Indian tribes can also enroll acreage in a 30-year contract.

Participating landowners will receive a Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) forest management plan for the property, a forest carbon inventory, assistance with carbon credit development and marketing, and potential additional income from the sale of carbon credits. Some landowners may avoid regulatory restrictions under the Endangered Species Act by restoring or improving habitat on their land for a specified period of time.


Virginia Priority CountiesVirginia is offering HFRP through a Regional Conservation Partnership Program (RCPP) project with The Nature Conservancy in the following target counties: Bland, Buchanan, Dickenson, Giles, Grayson, Lee, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, Wise and Wythe.

Land enrolled in HFRP easements must be privately owned or owned by Indian tribes. HFRP applicants must provide proof of ownership and operators (tenants) must provide written concurrence from the landowner of tenancy for the HFRP restoration agreement period.

Conservation activities must restore, enhance or measurably increase the recovery of threatened or endangered species, improve biological diversity or increase carbon storage.

FY20 Signups

Applications must be received by close of business on May 31, 2020.

More information

To apply or get more information, contact:

  • Steve Lindeman or Greg Meade, TNC representatives
    PH: 276-676-2209
  • Diane Dunaway, NRCS Easement Program Manager
    PH: 804-287-1634
  • or the local USDA Service Center serving your eligible county