Skip Navigation

Financial Assistance

When applying for Financial Assistance under a program offered by USDA/NRCS using a Tax Identification Number (TIN) or an Employer Identification Number (EIN), your business must have a DUNS number and be registered in the System for Award Management (SAM). Individuals applying for USDA/NRCS programs using their Social Security Number do not need a DUNS number.

How Do I Get DUNS Number?

D&B Help ...

Contact D&B toll free at (866) 705-5711 or their website at

To get your DUNS number you will the TIN or EIN for the business, and the taxpayer name as it appears on the last tax return.

You may request a free DUNS Number in two ways:

  1. Register online at
  2. Request the three page application by calling Dun & Bradstreet at (866) 705-5711 between 8am and 6pm Pacfic Standard Time.

It should take 1-2 business days, to process your request and issue a DUNS number.

Registering in SAM

SAM Help ...

Contact the Customer Service line at (866) 606-8220 or their website at

Once you have a DUNS number, you must also register with SAM. In addition to the DUNS number, you will need: EIN or TIN number, statistical information about the business (e.g. receipts, number of employees), electronic funds transfer information (i.e. bank ABA routing number; account number and type or lockbox number, Automated Clearing House (ACH) point of contact, and remittance point of contact. If the EIN or TIN number is new, you must receive the CP-575 notice from the IRS before registering with SAM

The registration will become active after 3-5 days when the IRS validates the EIN or TIN information.

  1. Register on-line at
  2. Create a Personal Account and Login.
  3. Click "Register New Entity" under "Manage Entity" on your "My SAM" page.
  4. Select your type of Entity.
  5. Select "Yes" to "Do you wish to bid on contracts?"
  6. Complete the "Core Data":
    • Validate DUNS information.
    • Enter Business Information (EIN, TIN, etc.)
    • Enter CAGE code if available. If not, one will be assigned after your registration is complete. (Foreign registrants must enter NCAGE code.)
    • Enter General Information (i.e. business types, organizational structure, etc.)
    • Enter Financial and Electronic Funds Transfer (ETF) information.
    • Enter Executive Compensation.
    • Enter Proceedings Details.
  7. Complete "Assertions":
    • Goods and Services (NAICS, PSC, etc.)
    • Size Metrics
    • EDI Information
    • Disaster Relief Information
  8. Complete "Representations and Certifications":
    • FAR Responses
    • Architect-Engineer Responses
    • DFARS Responses
  9. Complete "Points of Contact"

< Back to Previous Page