Skip Navigation

Emergency Watershed Protection Program

The EWP Program provides assistance to project sponsors and individuals in implementing emergency recovery measures to relieve imminent hazards to life and property created by a natural disaster that causes a sudden impairment of a watershed.

Assistance is available only when public or private landowners, land managers, land users, or others document that they have exhausted or have insufficient funding or other resources available to provide adequate relief from applicable hazards.

Technical and Financial Assistance

EWP technical and financial assistance may be made available, dependent upon funding, when a declaration of the following is made:

  • A federal emergency is declared by the President
  • A local or State emergency is declared by the State Conservationist
  • In drought situations when the Secreatary of Agriculture has declared a drought emergency

Request for Assistance

Project sponsors must apply for EWP assistance to the State Conservationist by written request.

The request must consist of the following:

  • A discussion of the problems encountered
  • Assistance needed, including the following:
    • Nature of the problem
    • Location
    • Scope of the problem
  • Commitment by the sponsor to assume the following responsibilities:
    • Provide local cost-share
    • Land rights acquisition
    • Permits
    • Responsibility for O&M, if required
  • A statement indicating that funds have either been exhausted or are insufficient to provide adequate relief from the applicable hazards
  • Detailed information is not required at the time of the initial request

Project sponsors must submit a request for assistance within 60 days following the date fo the natural occurence that caused the watershed impairment, or after access to the site becomes available.

Eligible Entities

Legal subdivision of a State government or a State agency such as:

  • Cities
  • Counties or Parishes
  • Towns
  • Townships
  • Soil and Water Conservation Districts
  • Levee Districts
  • Drainage Districts
  • Any Native American tribe or triabl organization as defined in section 4 of the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act (25 U.S.C. 450b) And
  • Has a legal interest in or responsibility for the values threatened by a watershed emergency 
  • Is capable of obtaining necessary land rights and required permits
  • Is capable of carrying out any operation and maintenance (O&M) responsibilities that may be required

For more information contact