Skip Navigation

Agricultural Conservation Easement Program

Programs Banner

easements banner


ACEP WRE Deadline is February 16, 2021 and ALE Deadline is February 26, 2021

Click Here for Application Resources

Wetland Reserve Easements (WRE)
Through ACEP -WRE, NRCS helps landowners and tribes restore and protect wetland ecosystems. Wetlands provide many benefits, including critical habitat for a wide array of wildlife species. They also store floodwaters, clean and recharge groundwater, sequester carbon, trap sediment, and filter pollutants for clean water.

Wetland conservation easements are either permanent or for 30 years. Eligible lands include farmed or converted wetlands that can successfully be restored, croplands or grasslands subject to flooding, and riparian areas that link protected wetland areas. As part of the easement, NRCS and the landowner work together to develop a plan for the restoration and maintenance of the wetland.

Agricultural Land Easements (ALE)
Through ACEP – ALE, NRCS provides funds to conservation partners to purchase conservation
easements on private working lands. This program helps keep working lands working, especially
in areas experiencing development pressure. ALE Easements are permanent. Eligible lands
include privately owned cropland, rangeland, grassland, pastureland and forestlands.

Partners include state or local agencies, non-profits and tribes. Landowners continue to own their
property but voluntarily enter into a legal agreement with a cooperating entity to purchase an
easement. The cooperating entity applies for matching funds from NRCS for the purchase of an
easement from the landowner, permanently protecting its agricultural use and conservation
values. Landowners do not apply directly to NRCS for funding under this program, but rather
through an eligible partner.

Visit the Eligibility and Applying for ACEP web page for application materials.

You may also e-mail Peter Gibbs, Easements Programs Manager, or call 315-477-6543 for more information regarding ACEP - WRE and ALE in New York.

How to Get AssistanceLearn how to get started with NRCS.

GovDelivery envelope imageSign up for Farm Bill email updates

nrcs office locator graphic
Find your local USDA Service Center.