Skip Navigation

Emergency Watershed Protection Program

The purpose of the Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program is to respond to emergencies created by natural disasters. The EWP program is designed to help people and conserve natural resources by relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, fires, droughts, windstorms, and other natural occurrences that are causing or have caused a sudden impairment of the watershed. The EWP program has two components: EWP – Recovery, and EWP-Floodplain Easement (FPE).

  • EWP-Recovery - The EWP Recovery Program is a recovery effort program aimed at relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, fires, windstorms, and other natural occurrences. NRCS may pay up to 75 percent of the construction cost of emergency measures. The remaining 25 percent must come from local sources and can be in the form of cash or in-kind services. If your land has suffered severe damage that may qualify for the EWP Program, you should contact your local sponsoring authorities and request assistance. Additional information regarding EWP-Recovery eligibility and availability, please visit the EWP-Recovery page.

  • EWP-Floodplain Easement - Floodplain easements restore, protect, maintain and enhance the functions of floodplains while conserving their natural values such as fish and wildlife habitat, water, quality, flood water retention and ground water recharge. Privately-owned lands or lands owned by local and state governments may be eligible for participation in EWP-FPE. Landowners interested in enrolling their land in a permanent EWP-FPE easement should contact their local USDA Service Center for more information. EWP-FPE is not available in all areas at all times and is most commonly available to landowners in areas recently impacted by a natural disaster such as widespread flooding. For more information regarding program eligibility and availability, please visit the EWP-FPE page.

Program Contact: David Lamm, State Conservation Engineer, 732-537-6071

This page was last modified on March 7, 2014.