Skip Navigation


Financial Assistance Programs

Easement Programs

Partnership Programs

Other Programs

Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) and System for Award Management (SAM)

If your business or organization plans to apply for conservation program or grant funding through USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and you use an Employer Identification Number (EIN), also referred to as a Tax Identification Number (TIN), you will need to obtain a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number and be registered with the System for Award Management (SAM). See the following for information on how to do so:

Additional Montana-Specific Information

Conservation Client Gateway
Conservation Client Gateway is a secure online portal that lets individual landowners and land managers track their payments, request assistance, sign documents and request conservation assistance anytime, anywhere.  Conservation Client Gateway provides users the flexibility to determine when they want to engage with NRCS online and when they prefer in-person conservation planning assistance.

Electronic (eGov) Information
Service Center Agencies Online Services - The USDA Service Center Agencies (Natural Resources Conservation Service, Farm Service Agency and Rural Development) provide several services online. Instead of driving to a service center, individual registered customers will be able to conduct business online in a secure and protected environment. eAuthentication Self-Registration is where it all starts.

Land Evaluation and Site Assessment
The Land Evaluation and Site Assessment System (LESA) system helps state and local officials make sound decisions about land use. Combined with Forest measures and Rangeland parameters, LESA can provide a technical framework to numerically rank land parcels based on local resource evaluation and site considerations.

Local Work Groups
Local work groups (LWG) support the locally led conservation effort by coordinating USDA programs with other federal, state, tribal, and local conservation programs to provide an integrated solution to addressing natural resource concerns.

Programs Manual
The National Programs Manual and state supplements are available on the NRCS eDirectives Web site.

State Technical Committee
The State Technical Committee (STC) provides recommendations to the NRCS State Conservationist on NRCS-related issues in Montana. These issues include: implementation of NRCS programs, advice and comments on NRCS practice standards, and others.

Technical Service Providers
Technical Service Providers (TSP) are conservation professionals from the private sector, non-profit organizations, and public agencies that can provide direct technical assistance and deliver conservation services to landowners and others on behalf of USDA.