Skip Navigation

News Release

Notice to Federal Government Contract and Grant Recipients

SAM and DUNS Registration and Renewal Is FREE

Madison, Wis. – August 1, 2016 – Entities with an EIN other than a personal social security number who are current and potential Federal Government grant and contract recipients MUST obtain a DUNS (D&B) number and register in the System for Award Management (SAM). SAM is the official U.S. Government registration system for grants and contract recipients.

Obtaining a DUNS number and registering in SAM is absolutely FREE. There is absolutely no cost associated with registering on SAM or obtaining a DUNS number. Recently, grant recipients and contractors around the state of Wisconsin have been approached and in some cases paid significant fees for assistance in registering their business or organization in SAM.

There are private, third party businesses that pay search engines to have their businesses listed at the top of the search list and appear to be representing the Federal Government. These organizations appear in the list before the actual website. While it is ultimately a businesses’ choice to pay a third party to do this for you, please note the federal government does not charge for registering in this system.

Please keep in mind these helpful hints when registering with SAM:

  • Does the website end in ‘.gov’ or ‘mil’? Official government websites will end in ‘.gov’ or ‘mil’ rather than ‘.com’ or ‘.org’.
  • Generally speaking, there is no fee to do business with the federal government (there are a few exceptions to this rule). If you are unsure if someone is actually representing a government agency or function, contact WPI.
  • Registration and obtaining a DUNS number or SAM is FREE.


Helping People Help the Land

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender.