Skip Navigation

News Release

Special Funds Announced for Farmers in Milwaukee River Watershed

Renae Anderson, Public Affairs Specialist
(608) 662-4422 ext 227

For more on Great Lakes Initiative, see programs/glri.html

Apply by Feb. 15, 2012


Farmers in the Milwaukee River watershed may be eligible for a special conservation initiative to help clean up the Great Lakes.  Wisconsin is one of eight states that have received federal funding through the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative.  The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service announced that Wisconsin will receive $375,000 for agricultural conservation practices to reduce erosion and protect water quality through this initiative.   NRCS anticipates additional funds will be announced this spring for selected Lake Michigan watersheds. 

NRCS will conduct a sign-up for GLRI funding now through Feb. 15, 2012.   The funds are available to help farmers with the cost of needed conservation practices, with particular emphasis on livestock concerns.   The Milwaukee River watershed includes parts of Sheboygan, Fond du Lac, Dodge, Washington, Ozaukee, Milwaukee and Waukesha counties.

Agriculture is just one of the areas that are part of the entire Great Lakes Restoration Initiative. Other agencies and funds are dedicated to urban runoff and sprawl, sewage disposal, and industrial pollutants that threaten the Great Lakes’ water quality, fish populations, and human health.

Contact the NRCS office at the USDA Service Center for your county to schedule an appointment.  More information is available at

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (202) 720-5964 (voice or TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.