Skip Navigation

News Release

NRCS Announces New East Area Conservationist

Gina Kerzman
(509) 323-2911

Doug Allen

Ephrata local, Doug Allen, starts area position in Spokane, WA

Spokane, WA (May 10, 2013)— Ephrata resident, Doug Allen, was recently selected as the new east area conservationist for the USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). Allen reported to his position at the Spokane area office on April 6, 2013.

Allen started his career with NRCS in 1983 as a soil conservation technician in Waterville and Ephrata, WA. He worked a short stint as an engineering technician for Hahn Engineering before returning to NRCS in 1991 with the Moses Lake field office.  Allen started his first management position as a district conservationist in Wenatchee in 1998. He went on to serve as the district conservationist in Ephrata and then for the Big Bend team which included Grant, Kittitas and parts of Adams counties.

A graduate of Ephrata High School, Allen earned an associate’s degree in agricultural mechanizationat Big Bend Community College, and continued his education at Washington State University and Oregon State University.

 As the east area conservationist, Allen will oversee NRCS field offices in Ferry, Pend Oreille, Stevens, Spokane, Whitman, Adams, Lincoln, Franklin, Walla Walla, Columbia, Garfield and Asotin counties as well as the area office staff in Spokane.

With the mission of “Helping People Help the Land,” NRCS provides products and services that enable people to be good stewards of the nation’s soil, water, and related natural resources on non-federal lands. 

For more information on NRCS’ products and services can be found on the NRCS Washington web site at


NRCS is an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).

Local contact information is located in the telephone book under the federal government listing or can be found online at: