Skip Navigation

News Release

USDA Offers Financial Assistance to Farmers and Livestock Producers in Perkins and Jones County Impacted by Fires

Andrew Thomason, Public Affairs Specialist
(605) 570-2625 |

Jennifer Wurtz, EQIP Coordinator
(605) 350-1253 |

Huron, South Dakota, June 8, 2021 – The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) provides technical and financial assistance to help Perkins and Jones County farmers and livestock producers recover from damages brought on by both the Divide and Dry Creek fires. Agricultural producers are encouraged to contact their local USDA Service Center to learn about the programs available to help them recover from crop, land, infrastructure, and livestock losses.

“Fires have adversely impacted farmers and ranchers in Perkins and Jones County South Dakota,” said Acting State Conservationist Laura Broyles, for USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). “Fortunately, the USDA offers various disaster assistance programs to help with the damages caused by the fires.”

The Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) can help producers plan and implement conservation practices on farms, ranches, and working forests impacted by natural disasters. Practices include grazing deferment on burned pasture and rangeland, cover crops to help rebuild lost organic matter and provide supplemental grazing options, as well as fencing and pipeline practices to replace what has been destroyed.

“The NRCS can help with recovery efforts” said Broyles, “Our staff works one-on-one with landowners to assess the damage and develop approaches that lead to an effective recovery of the land.” The batching date deadline is June 25, 2021.

On, the Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool, Disaster-at-a-Glance Fact Sheet, and Farm Loan Discovery Tool can help producers and landowners determine program or loan options. For assistance with a crop insurance claim, producers and landowners should contact their crop insurance agent. For Farm Service Agency (FSA) and NRCS programs, they should contact their local USDA Service Center.

The USDA's Service Centers are open for business. Call or e-mail to make in-person appointments at USDA Service Centers across the country. Find and contact your local NRCS Service Center at