Skip Navigation

News Release

Request USDA Assistance to Protect Infrastructure Damaged by Hurricane Irma

Jerry Bynum, State Public Affairs Specialist

Assistance Request Deadline is Nov. 11, 2017

COLUMBIA, S.C., Sept. 12, 2017 —U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) in South Carolina is accepting requests for assistance to help communities protect eligible infrastructure such as roads, bridges, houses, and businesses as a result of damage caused by Hurricane Irma and associated flooding.

The deadline to request assistance through the Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program, which is designed to relieve imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods and other natural occurrences in watersheds, must be submitted to the NRCS State Conservationist in South Carolina by Nov. 11, 2017.

“NRCS is partnering with local sponsors to protect eligible infrastructure that is in jeopardy and continues to pose threats to life and property,” said Ann English, State Conservationist for NRCS in South Carolina. “Requests need to be submitted by the deadline so NRCS can determine site eligibility for assistance.”

EWP Program projects must be sponsored by a legal subdivision of state government such as a city, county, state agency, town, or a federally-recognized American Indian tribe or tribal organization. Funding if available will be based on initial damage assessments. Sponsors will participate in more detailed damage assessment reports that will give a clearer picture of the needs.

NRCS will pay 75 percent of the restoration costs and the sponsor is responsible for the remaining 25 percent, which can include in-kind support. The EWP Program allows sponsors 60 days from the disaster occurrence or 60 days after the site is accessible to request federal assistance.

For more information about the EWP Program, contact the EWP Program Manager, Stephen Henry, at (803) 765-5350 or visit your local NRCS office. USDA service center locations are listed at



USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).