Skip Navigation

News Release

NRCS Announces Expanded Funding Available Under AMA for High Tunnels in Rhode Island

Leo Smock-Randall
(401) 822-8878

FY 2017 Rhode Island Application Ranking Period Deadline-Friday, April 21, 2017

Traditionally NRCS provides funding for High Tunnels through both the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) and the Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA) Program where a High Tunnel must be located on existing cropland. A recent change only within in the AMA Program allows High Tunnels to be located on land beyond existing cropland. 


WARWICK, RI (April 10, 2017) —NRCS Rhode Island is excited to announce an expansion of its High Tunnel System program. Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA) Program funding has been expanded this year targeting agricultural producers who would like to install a High Tunnel beyond existing cropland. In Rhode Island, High Tunnels provide an opportunity to extend the growing season or protect crops from excessive rain, wind, or cold temperatures. Although NRCS Rhode Island accepts AMA applications on a continuous basis throughout the year, the application ranking deadline for FY 2017 funding is April 21st, 2017!  If you are an existing agricultural producer, which includes individuals or entities growing crops for donation or even subsidence (crops grown to feed oneself or family), submit an application before April 21st to be considered for funding this fiscal year! Contact your local NRCS or Conservation District office listed below for assistance.


Visit the national NRCS High Tunnel page to learn more about High Tunnels and how they are being used across the country.

To start an AMA application, visit the Rhode Island NRCS AMA Web site: and access the application under How to Apply.  All applications should be mailed to NRCS and must be received by April 21, 2017.

Natural Resources Conservation Service
60 Quaker Lane Suite 46
Warwick, RI 02886

Phone: (401) 822-8848

Eastern RI Conservation District
Serving Newport and Bristol Counties
Phone: (401) 934-0842

Northern RI Conservation District
Serving Providence County
Phone: (401) 934-0840

Southern RI Conservation District
Serving Kent and Washington Counties
Phone: (401) 500-0422