Skip Navigation

News Release

NRCS extends sign-up period for conservation easements in Oregon

Submit applications by Feb. 5


Release No. 2017.01.010


Bari Williams, Easement Specialist

Tracy Robillard, Public Affairs Officer

PORTLAND, Ore. – (Jan. 4, 2017) — Do you want to keep your farm or ranch in agriculture for future generations? Do you want to protect your agricultural land from future development? Do you want to restore wetland habitat on your land and protect it for migratory birds, fish, and other wildlife?

USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service in Oregon offers easement programs to help private landowners, state and local governments, Indian tribes, and non-profit groups protect Oregon’s working agricultural lands and wetlands for future generations.

NRCS has extended this year’s application period for the Agricultural Conservation Easements Program (ACEP).  Submit applications by Feb. 5 at a local USDA Service Center.

NRCS ranks easement applications based on identified natural resource concerns and priority areas throughout the state. Easement priority areas in Oregon include critical water bird habitat, Coho and steelhead salmon habitat, sage grouse habitat, grasslands, and more.

Through the ACEP, NRCS provides financial and technical assistance to secure easements for both working agricultural lands and for wetlands. The program has two components: one for Agricultural Land Easements (ALE) and one for Wetland Reserve Easements (WRE).

Under the ALE component, NRCS provides funds to eligible entities (such as non-profit conservation groups) to purchase permanent easements that protect the agricultural use and conservation values of the land. These easements prevent productive working lands from being converted to non-agricultural uses, keeping the land in agriculture for future generations. They support and maximize protection of land devoted to food and fiber production. Cropland, rangeland, grassland, pastureland and non-industrial private forestland are all eligible for ALE.

Under the WRE component, NRCS provides funding directly to private landowners for the purchase of a 30-year or permanent easements and for restoration activities. These easements restore and enhance wetlands and improve habitat for a variety of fish, migratory birds and other wildlife. WRE projects also improve water quality, reduce flood damage, and encourage outdoor education and recreation. Eligible lands include farmed or converted wetlands that can be successfully and cost-effectively restored.

Learn more about ACEP opportunities and how to apply in Oregon by visiting the Oregon ACEP webpage.

To find a local NRCS office near you, visit the NRCS Oregon website at and view the “Contact Us” tab for a map of local service centers.


The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service provides financial and technical assistance to voluntary farmers, ranchers and forest landowners to implement conservation practices on private lands. By working collectively with partners and stakeholders, NRCS helps maintain healthy and productive working landscapes, benefitting both environmental and agricultural needs.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).

Local contact information is located in the telephone book under the federal government listing or can be found online at: