Skip Navigation

Grassland Reserve Program



GRP Easement Program Funding Expiration - Update

 The Agricultural Act of 2014 establishes the Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP).
It repeals FRPP, GRP, and WRP but does not affect the validity or terms of any FRPP, GRP, or WRP contract, agreement or easement entered into prior to the date of enactment on February 7, 2014 or any associated payments required to be made in connection with an existing FRPP, GRP, or WRP contract, agreement or easement.  

For more information on ACEP, please visit the ACEP web page.


Grassland Reserve Program


The Grassland Reserve Program (GRP) is a voluntary conservation program that emphasizes support for working grazing operations, enhancement of plant and animal biodiversity, and protection of grassland under threat of conversion to other uses.

Participants voluntarily limit future development and cropping uses of the land while retaining the right to conduct common grazing practices and operations related to the production of forage and seeding, subject to certain restrictions during nesting seasons of bird species that are in significant decline or are protected under Federal or State law.  Participants may conduct fire rehabilitation and construct firebreaks and fences.  The GRP rental contracts and easements prohibit crop production (other than hay), fruit trees, and vineyards and any other activity inconsistent with maintaining grazing land.  A grazing management plan is required for participants.

Eligible applicants include:

  • Landowners and operators who have general control of the acreage (for rental contracts);
  • Landowners who can provide clear title on privately owned lands (for easements); or
  • Tribes.

Eligible lands include:

  • grassland that contains forbs (including improved rangeland and pastureland or shrubland) for which grazing is the predominant use or
  • land that is located in an area that historically has been dominated by grassland, forbs, or shrubland that has the potential to serve as wildlife habitat of significant ecological value.

Applications may be filed for a rental contract or an easement with the Natural Resources Conservation Service or Farm Service Agency.  The GRP enrollment options include:

  • 10-year rental contract
  • 15-year rental contract
  • 20-year rental contract
  • permanent easement

Additional Information

National Grassland Reserve Program Web Page

NRCS Program Contact

Jerome Faulkner, National FRPP, GRP, and Agricultural Land Easements Program Manager, 202-690-1905