Skip Navigation

News Release

2019 ACEP - New Deadline

NRCS Contact:
Alicia Rodriguez (505) 761-4421

April 2, 2019

New Mexico USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service Extends the Application Deadline for Agricultural Conservation Easement Program Funding     

ALBUQUERQUE, NM – The application deadline for Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP)-Agricultural Land Easement (ALE), and ACEP-Wetland Reserve Easement (WRE) has been extended to May 2, 2019.  This change in the application deadline was necessary to correct errors on the 2019 ALE ranking worksheets. The new deadline applies to ALE applications submitted for the Regional Conservation Program Partnership (RCPP) with the East Rio Arriba Soil and Water Conservation District and to applications submitted by landowners for WRE.  

The ALE component of the ACEP requires an easement entity to hold and enforce the easement terms. The easement entities must provide a cash match to the ALE funding provided by NRCS. “There is increased interest from landowners to protect the agricultural nature of their land. This is due in part to the New Mexico tax credit program that provides compensation to landowners in addition to cash they may receive from the easement transaction. By focusing the ALE ranking on high priority habitat NRCS can dedicate limited USDA funding to those productive lands most at threat from development,” said Kristin Graham Chavez, NRCS Assistant State Conservationist for Programs. 

Landowners can apply for ACEP-WRE by visiting their local USDA Service Center and submitting their Conservation Program Application (NRCS-CPA-1200).  Producers who have established a Client Gateway account may submit their application online.  Landowners need to receive a farm and tract number from the Farm Service Agency (FSA) and complete eligibility certifications. 

Easement entities must provide the documents specified in the ACEP ALE application guide found at the NRCS New Mexico ACEP website by the May 2nd deadline.   

Silhouette photo of the natural resources conservation Objects






USDA is an Equal Opportunity Provider, Employer and Lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).