Skip Navigation

News Release

New Mexico Selects Employee of the Month for March 2018

NRCS Contact:
Alicia Rodriguez (505) 761-4421

March 1, 2018

Vernon Mirabal, NRCS Partnership with Taos Pueblo

Albuquerque, N.M. –Vernon Mirabal, Team 3 Soil Conservationist, was selected as the New Mexico Employee of the Month for March 2018.  Vernon distinguished himself by coordinating a conservation tour on the Taos Pueblo for Chief Leonard Jordan, State Conservationist Xavier Montoya and other members of the New Mexico Leadership Team.  The tour consisted of meeting with tribal leaders, discussing their conservation projects with NRCS, as well as future needs of the Pueblo.  By facilitating communications between Taos Pueblo and NRCS leadership, Vernon helped to ensure continued collaboration on conservation projects moving forward. 

In addition to receiving a brief history on the Pueblo and gaining access to culturally significant lands, the tour specifically focused on the 4500 foot Taos Pueblo Irrigation Pipeline project.  This project is instrumental in providing increased irrigation efficiencies and water quality, preserving cultural values, benefits to wildlife, and scenic beauty of the Rio Lucero.

Vernon’s success in strengthening the NRCS partnership with Taos Pueblo will position the agency to better serve Pueblo clients and their ancestral homelands, and address important natural resource concerns and agricultural needs.

Vernon will receive an award for his achievement and recognition.







Chief Lenard Jordon and Vernon Mirabal, Soil Conservationist, on the Taos Pueblo, Taos, NM.

500 foot Taos Pueblo Irrigation Pipeline project.
USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender. To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at How to File a Program Discrimination Complaint and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: