Skip Navigation

News Release

Disaster Assistance Available to New Jersey Communities Impacted by Hurricane Ida

Hilary Trotman, State Engineer (acting)
(856) 285-7674

SOMERSET, N.J., September 10, 2021 – USDA's Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is now accepting applications for natural disaster recovery efforts aimed at relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by Hurricane Ida in Bergen, Gloucester, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Passaic, and Somerset Counties through the NRCS Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program. Applications will be accepted through November 1, 2021. 

"We are determined to do all we can to help local municipalities and communities quickly address the damage caused by Hurricane Ida," said Julie Hawkins, NRCS NJ State Conservationist. "The technical and financial assistance offered through the EWP program will allow New Jersey residents to start down the path to rebuilding and recovery."

EWP assists with the implementation of critical emergency measures needed to address public safety and restoration efforts.

Typical streambank restoration projects funded under EWP include removing debris from waterways, protecting eroded stream banks, reseeding damaged areas, and in some cases, purchasing floodplain easements on eligible land. Maintenance and repair of existing structures, such as bridges and culverts, as well as damage to homes and businesses are not eligible for assistance.

Public and private landowners are eligible for assistance but must be represented by a project sponsor. Sponsors include legal subdivisions of the State, such as a city, county, general improvement district or a conservation district, and are responsible for providing land rights to implement repair work, securing all necessary permits, performing any necessary operation,  maintenance and furnishing the local cost share. NRCS provides up to 75 percent of the construction funds, and the community, local, or state sponsor must pay the remaining costs, which can be provided by cash and/or in-kind services.

Contact your local USDA Service Center for more information.