Skip Navigation

News Release

Plan next year’s conservation activities for your farm and forest land now

Barbara L. Phillips, Public Affairs Specialist

Apply for NRCS FY2019 Conservation Programs by October 19, 2018

SOMERSET, September 17 2018 – New Jersey’s State Conservationist Carrie Lindig with USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is encouraging agricultural producers and forest land managers to contact their local NRCS office soon to plan conservation activities for their operations for next year. Applications for assistance through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), EQIP Conservation Activity Plans and EQIP Initiatives submitted to local NRCS offices by October 19, 2018, will be considered for Fiscal Year 2019 funding.

Lindig said, “New Jersey producers received over $5.4 million in financial assistance through EQIP in Fiscal Year 2018. We are anticipating similar funding levels next year and hope more eligible landowners and managers in New Jersey will take advantage of the opportunities available through NRCS’s voluntary conservation programs.”

NRCS soil conservationists are available to help New Jersey private land managers assess the natural resources on their property and suggest conservation practices that could be planned and implemented with NRCS assistance. The Environmental Quality Incentives Program provides financial assistance for a variety of conservation activities. Initiatives in New Jersey include the Golden Winged Warbler Initiative in north Jersey and the National Water Quality Initiative in south Jersey. EQIP can help producers address issues such as animal waste management, efficient irrigation, erosion control, improving soil health, wildlife habitat improvement, and more by incorporating conservation into their farming operations.

NRCS provides financial and technical assistance to help agricultural producers address resource concerns through conservation programs authorized by the Farm Bill. NRCS accepts applications for conservation programs year-round. Applications are processed when funding becomes available. Interested producers should visit their local NRCS service center and the NJ NRCS website ( for more information.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410, Washington, DC 20250-9410, or call toll-free at (866) 632-9992 (English) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (English Federal-relay) or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish Federal-relay).