Skip Navigation

News Release

NRCS is accepting applications for Emergency Watershed Protection Program

Contact:
James Kjelgaard
919.873.2130


U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) in North Carolina is accepting requests for assistance to help communities protect eligible infrastructure such as roads, bridges, houses, and businesses from erosion and watershed hazards caused by Hurricane Florence and associated flooding.

 

The deadline to request assistance through the Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program, which is designed to relieve imminent hazards to (i.e. protect) life and property caused by floods and other natural occurrences in watersheds, should be submitted to the NRCS State Conservationist in North Carolina no later than November 15, 2018.

 

NRCS is partnering with local sponsors to protect eligible infrastructure and situations that pose threats to life and property. All requests for EWP assistance need to be submitted by November 15, 2018,  so NRCS can determine site eligibility.

 

EWP Program projects must be sponsored by a legal subdivision of state government such as a city, county, state agency, town, or a federally-recognized American Indian tribe or tribal organization. Funding if available will be based on initial damage assessments. Sponsors will participate in more detailed damage assessment reports that will give a clearer picture of the needs.

 

NRCS will pay 75 percent of the restoration costs and the sponsor is responsible for the remaining 25 percent, which can include in-kind support. The EWP Program allows sponsors 60 days from the disaster occurrence or 60 days after the site is accessible to request federal assistance.

 

For more information about the EWP Program, please contact (or locate) your local NRCS office/USDA service center locations listed at http://offices.usda.gov. The North Carolina NRCS EWP Program Manager, Jim Kjelgaard, may be contacted at (919) 873-2130 with questions regarding the program and site eligibility.

 

A copy of this letter and a sponsor fact sheet are attached to provide additional program details.

 

James (Jim) Kjelgaard

North Carolina State Conservation Engineer

United States Department of Agriculture - Natural Resources Conservation Service (USDA-NRCS)

4407 Bland Road, Ste. 117

Raleigh, NC 27609

919-873-2130