Skip Navigation

Souris-Red-Rainy Basin

Assessment of the Effects of Conservation Practices on Cultivated Cropland in the Souris-Red-Rainy Basin

Souris-Red-Rainy Report cover

On August 28, 2014, NRCS released the CEAP-Cropland report on the effects of conservation practices on cropland in the Souris-Red-Rainy Basin.

This report one in a series of regional reports that continues the tradition within USDA of assessing the status, condition, and trends of natural resources to determine how to improve conservation programs to best meet the Nation's needs. These reports use a sampling and modeling approach to quantify the environmental benefits that farmers and conservation programs are currently providing to society, and explore prospects for attaining additional benefits with further conservation treatment.

Computer modeling simulations indicate that farmers’ use of conservation practices in the Souris-Red-Rainy Basin has made good progress toward reducing sediment and nutrient losses from farm fields and subsequent loadings in rivers and streams in the region. We estimate that about 75 percent of the cultivated cropland acres in the region have a low level of need for additional conservation practices. The remaining 25 percent have a moderate need for additional treatment, all to reduce sediment and nutrient losses associated with wind erosion. More specific details on effects of practices are discussed in the full report and in the summary documents.

These documents require Adobe Acrobat

Technical information on the methodology for CEAP Cropland studies in general, including the one on the Souris-Red-Rainy Basin, and documentation reports on the modeling methodology, models and databases, is available.

< Back to Cropland National Assessment