Skip Navigation

News Release

NRCS Offers Wildfire Recovery Assistance

Tim Ouellette


Bozeman, Mont., July 16, 2012 - The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is offering technical and financial assistance to landowners impacted by wildfires throughout Montana. NRCS has set aside funding through its Environmental Quality Incentives Program to assist with livestock grazing deferment, weed control, critical area plantings, and, in some instances, livestock fencing.

“NRCS in Montana is prepared to assist landowners deal with the effects of wildfires and dry weather conditions,” said Joyce Swartzendruber, NRCS state conservationist for Montana. “We want to work with landowners to help them reclaim their grazing operations.”

High winds, low humidity and prolonged dry conditions led to the recent wildfires in several Montana counties, and many landowners are faced with making plans for rangeland recovery.

Landowners impacted by recent wildfires are encouraged to contact their local NRCS district conservationist to seek assistance. NRCS can provide technical and financial assistance to install measures that reduce post-fire damage and aid in the rehabilitation process.

NRCS accepts conservation program applications year-round; however, applications for 2012 wildfire recovery funding must be submitted by July 27, 2012. Applications made after the deadline will be considered in the next funding cycle.

“We want to provide assistance that will help landowners and livestock producers accelerate the recovery of affected grazing land,” Swartzendruber said.

Landowners should visit their local NRCS office to apply for EQIP. Applications will be ranked, and those approved for funding will be offered a contract.

Additional information is available from the local USDA Service Center, which can be found at


"The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer."