Skip Navigation

News Release

2011 Flooding - NRCS Responding to Disaster…

Conservation Priority Report Louisiana

NRCS LAUSDACivil RightsCareersOffice LocatorContact Us
Helping People Help the Land

2011 Flooding
NRCS Responding to Disaster...
The Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program provides funding for life and property-threatening watershed problems caused by a natural disaster needing immediate repair.

The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) works with project sponsors to implement EWP projects. These sponsors can be a legal subdivision of a state government (cities, counties, conservation districts, watershed districts) or Native American tribe/tribal organization. Sponsors should have legal interest in or responsibility for the threatened watershed impairment and lack sufficient funds to address the emergency.

If a project is approved through the EWP Program, the sponsor has to provide up to 25% cost share (cash or in-kind goods and services) to complete the project. The sponsor also has to acquire necessary land rights and permits as well as be capable of carrying out operation and maintenance responsibilities for the project.

Eligible EWP projects include:

  • Cleaning channels, bridges, and culverts of debris and sediment

  • Repairing non-federal levees to address sloughing

  • Pump station repair

United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Notice to Hispanic and/or Women Farmers or Ranchers:
Click here if you are a woman or Hispanic farmer and believe you were improperly denied farm loan benefits by USDA between 1981 and 2000.  You may be eligible for compensation.

Conservation Technical Assistance - In response to disasters, such as the flooding of 2011, NRCS is available to provide technical assistance to land users removing farmland debris, grading and shaping land, and repairing conservation structures impacted by the flooding.
Commitment to Equality
USDA believes every farmer and rancher should be treated equally and fairly, and we are committed to resolving all cases involving allegations of past discrimination by individuals.

Referral Guide for USDA Settlements and Claims Adjudication Process

Women and Hispanic Farmers and Ranchers Claims Adjudication Process
If you believe that USDA improperly denied farm loan benefits to you for certain time periods between 1981 and 2000 because you are a female or because you are Hispanic, you may be eligible to apply for compensation.  To request a claims package by telephone, call 1-888-508-4429.  To request a claims package online, please visit
Native American Farmer and Rancher Class Action Settlement (Keepseagle v. Vilsack)
If you are a Native American who was denied a farm loan or loan servicing by the USDA between January 1, 1981, and November 24, 1999, you may be eligible for benefits from a Class Action Settlement.  To request a claims package by telephone, call:  1-888-233-5506.  To request a claims package online, or for more information, please visit:
African American Farmer and Rancher Class Action Settlement (Pigford II)
If you are an African American farmer (a) who submitted a request to file a late claim on or between October 13, 1999, and June 18, 2008, under the 1999 USDA settlement in the earlier class action known as Pigford v. Glickman ("Pigford") and (b) who did not receive a merits determination on your discrimination claim, you may be eligible for benefits from a Class Action Settlement.  To hear information by telephone, call 1-866-950-5547 or 1-866-472-7826.  To find information online, please visit:
USDA . NRCS . . .   Access . Opportunity . Equity . Partnerships

To find out more about these conservation opportunities and more, contact your local USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service:  Office Locator