Skip Navigation

News Release

USDA’s NRCS is Accepting Applications for Conservation Assistance in the Triplett Creek Watershed in Rowan County

Improvements to the Triplett Creek Watershed will Improve Forest Health and Reduce Wildfire Risk


Lexington, Kentucky, June 4, 2014. USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and the U. S. Forest Service (USFS) are partnering to bring needed improvements to the Triplett Creek Watershed in Rowan County.  NRCS State Conservationist Karen Woodrich announced today that the agency will be investing up to $250,000 in financial assistance in the watershed this fiscal year to benefit water quality and wildlife habitat.

Applications are currently being accepted; those received by July 18, 2014 will be considered in the first round of funding for the Triplett Creek Watershed Initiative.

Most of the watershed lies within the Daniel Boone National Forest and over the years the timber quality has deteriorated due to weather events and fire occurrences.  Within the national forest, the USFS will work on improvements, but on the private land in the watershed, the NRCS is offering landowners financial and technical assistance to voluntarily make improvements on their land. The Kentucky Division of Forestry and Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources will also be important partners in this effort. 

Improving the health of our forest lands doesn’t stop at boundaries between public and private lands,” Woodrich said.  “Together, we can help mitigate wildfire threats to communities and landowners, protect water quality, and improve wildlife habitat for at-risk species.”

NRCS is currently accepting applications for this initiative through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP). To be considered for funding this fiscal year, applications must be submitted by July 18, 2014. 

An informational meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, June 17th at the Route 377 Fire Department at 2405 Cranston Road, Morehead, Kentucky, 40351, beginning at 6:00 p.m.

About NRCS

NRCS provides America’s farmers and ranchers with financial and technical assistance to voluntarily put conservation on the ground, not only helping the environment but agricultural operations too. 

To get assistance from NRCS, visit your local USDA Service Center or see the 5 Steps to Assistance section on the Kentucky NRCS webpage. 


Media Contact:  Christy Morgan, 859-224-7363

Triplett Creek Watershed Initiative Contact:  Tony Burnett, 606-845-6291



USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).