Skip Navigation

News Release

Short Signup for Funds to Improve Wildlife Habitat

Rob Fredericksen, Resource Conservationist

Additional Contact:
Alexis Collins, Public Affairs: 208.685.6978

Photo of a couple of quails

BOISE, ID - May 14, 2013 – Landowners interested in enhancing wildlife habitat on their agricultural land may apply for Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program funds from the Natural Resources Conservation Service. Applications must be in by May 31, 2013 for funding this fiscal year.

"The Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program helps landowners establish or improve wildlife habitat on their private property", said Jeff Burwell, Idaho NRCS State Conservationist. "The program emphasizes restoring habitats that will directly benefit species that are threatened, endangered or of special concern.

Lands eligible for this program include private agricultural land, nonindustrial private forest land, and Tribal Lands. In Idaho, WHIP assistance is focused on restoring native vegetation on riparian, wetland, shrub/steppe, and grassland habitats. Types of practices that improve wildlife habitat include:

Wetland restoration and enhancement
Converting cropland to dense nesting cover and native grasses
Enhancing shrub steppe habitats
Fencing off and planting riparian vegetation
Landowners can work with a conservationist at their local NRCS office to develop a plan with conservation practices that enhance fish and wildlife habitat.

For specific information on WHIP eligibility requirements, stop by your local USDA service center of visit NRCS online at

Applications for the Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program may be filed an any time and are batched and ranked periodically. May 31, 2013 is the end of the current ranking period.


USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).