Skip Navigation

News Release

Farm and Ranch Land Easement Program Helps Conserve Working Lands

2014 APPLICATIONS DUE BY March 10, 2014

Additional Contact:
Kris Berg, Asst. State Conservationist for Programs: 208.869-6986
Alexis Collins, Public Affairs Specialist, 208.685.6978

Scenic farmland.
BOISE, ID – January 30, 2014 – Land trusts and entities interested in permanently protecting farm or ranchlands in Idaho may apply for funding from the Farm and Ranchland Protection Program. The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service will accept applications for this year’s program through March 10, 2014.

“The intent of the Farm and Ranchland Protection Program is to ensure valuable agriculture land is available to produce food,” said State Conservationist Jeff Burwell. “The program protects productive farms and ranches from being converted to non-agricultural uses by offering funds to purchase conservation easements.”

Burwell said that entities with existing farm and ranch land protection programs apply to NRCS for matching funds to purchase development rights from landowners for conservation easements. “Once a conservation easement is established, current and future landowners will always be able to use the property for agriculture.”

The program provides matching funds to eligible State, Tribal, or local governments and non-governmental organizations that have existing farmland protection programs to purchase conservation easements. Landowners apply for the program through the entity. The landowner retains the title to the land as well as the right to control access and recreational use. The land remains on the tax rolls.

Eligible entities are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications must be received by March 10, 2014, for the 2014 funding cycle. Eligible organizations must have existing farm and ranch land protection programs, funds to match the federal contribution, authority to hold and manage easements, and the capacity to acquire, manage, and enforce easements.

For more information on FRPP eligibility, stop by your local USDA service center or visit NRCS online at


USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).