Skip Navigation

News Release

NRCS Idaho issues call for Special Projects

Ron Brooks, Resource Conservationist - Programs: 208.378.5724

BOISE, November 8, 2018 – Natural Resources Conservation Service State Conservationist for Idaho, Curtis Elke, has announced a call for Special Project pre-proposals. These Idaho projects where NRCS and its partner(s) for the project can make a bigger impact on a larger scale by targeting a specific set of resource concerns or conservation area within an identified geographical area.

“Special Projects are a way for producers, partners and NRCS to work collaboratively in addressing local priorities,” Elke said. “Our local, state and federal partners and the numerous agricultural organizations out there should talk to their local NRCS District Conservationist about their idea or ideas for a special project proposal. Past special projects have focused on conservation measures like soil health, water conservation and habitat enhancement among other things.”

What sets Special Projects apart from other NRCS state programs is that selected projects will be locally led and demonstrate partnership alliance. Funding may be requested for one to two years.

To be considered for funding, agricultural producers should submit pre-proposals through their local NRCS field office. The pre-proposal should be no longer than 2 pages and must include:

  • A brief overview of the project,
  • Anticipated practices that are being offered,
  • Resource concern(s) that are being addressed,
  • Partner involvement and their monetary and/or in-kind contribution
  • Total cost estimate if this project was to be fully funded,
  • Map of the proposed project area, and
  • Other information you feel pertinent in justifying the funding of this project

The deadline to submit pre-proposals is Feb. 1, 2019.

“Special projects have been a great way for us to do a lot of good in a set time frame, by addressing the issues that are important to our customers, partners and other stakeholders in their specific part of Idaho,” Elke said.


USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).