Skip Navigation

News Release

Conservation Assistance and Funding Applications Being Accepted

Jeffrey Woods

Release No.: 012014   ­

Apply before November 15, 2013

GAINESVILLE, FL, October 31, 2013 — Now is the time for farmers, ranchers and other agricultural producers to visit their local USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) office to receive more information and apply for conservation technical assistance and possible funding opportunities.

NRCS offices across the country, including those in Florida, are resuming work with farmers and ranchers to implement conservation activities. All offices are open and are working to address the backlog of requests expediently.

 “If you are interested in conservation assistance you should visit with our staff as soon as possible,” said Assistant State Conservationist for Financial Programs, Jeffrey Woods. “Our agency is able to proceed with implementation of several conservation programs, including the Environmental Quality Incentives Program and the Conservation Stewardship Program.”

Florida NRCS has established November 15, 2013, as the application cutoff date for consideration for Federal Fiscal Year 2014 for:

The Environmental Quality Incentives Program(EQIP) is a conservation program that provides financial and technical assistance to farmers and ranchers who face threats to soil, water, air, and related natural resources on their land. Through EQIP, NRCS develops contracts with agricultural producers to voluntarily implement conservation practices. Persons engaged in livestock or agricultural production and owners of non-industrial private forestland are eligible for the program.

Applications received after November 15th will be considered for future funding periods.

Authority to enroll acres in several other programs, including the Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP), expired on September 30, 2013, due to the expiration of the Farm Bill.

Additional information on NRCS, conservation assistance, and programs is available on its website at www.fl.nrcs.usda.govor at your local USDA - NRCS office. To find the nearest office go to your telephone directory under “U. S. Government, Department of Agriculture”, or


USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410, Washington, DC 20250-9410, or call toll-free at (866) 632-9992 (English) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (English Federal-relay) or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish Federal-relay).