Skip Navigation

NRCS Reminds Landowners:

The USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service reminds landowners applying for financial assistance through the agency’s Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA) Program, Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), or the Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP), that it is no longer necessary to obtain a Dun and Bradstreet Universal Number System (DUNS) number or register in the System for Award Management (SAM) program as of March 2018.


DUNS and SAM were designed for billion-dollar government contractors, not everyday farmers trying to support their families. These changes have helped streamline the customer experience of farmers – a top priority at USDA. However, DUNS and SAM is still required for:


  • Partnership agreements entered through the Regional Conservation Partnership Program (RCPP).

  • All agreements with eligible entities under the Farm and Ranchland Protection Program (FRPP)

  • Agreements under the Agricultural Land Easement (ALE) component of ACEP.

  • Partnership agreements under the Wetland Reserve Enhancement Program (WREP) component of ACEP-Wetland Reserve Easements (WRE).

  • Watershed operations agreements with project sponsors.

  • Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP) agreements with project sponsors, including Recovery and Floodplain Easements.

  • All cooperative, contribution, interagency, or partnership agreements of Federal contracts used by NRCS to procure goods or services.

NRCS staff advises anyone receiving emails, phone calls, or other communications from third-party vendors who offer assistance in the registration of either SAMS or DUNS to ignore them. If you have questions, contact your local USDA Service Center.