Skip Navigation

NRCS in Colorado 2012 Fire Rehabilitation Assistance - EWP

NRCS in Colorado 2012 Fire Rehabilitation Assistance

Collage of NRCS employees in forest

Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program

The Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) program is designed to help people and conserve natural resources by relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, fires, windstorms, and other natural occurrences. NRCS works with local sponsors to implement the EWP program and provides up to 75 percent of the construction cost of emergency conservation measures. The remaining 25 percent comes from local sources and can be in the form of cash or in-kind services.

NRCS manages and administers the Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program, which responds to emergencies created by natural disasters. The EWP Program helps safeguard lives and property threatened by natural disasters such as wildfires, floods, hurricanes, and tornados. It provides technical and cost-share assistance to reduce threats to life and property in the wake of natural disasters such as floods and fires. NRCS facilitates emergency measures to retard runoff, and reduce soil erosion and sedimentation, as authorized by the Secretary of Agriculture. NRCS assistance includes removing and establishing vegetative cover, controlling gullies, installing stream-bank protection devices; removing debris and sediment; and stabilizing levees, channels and gullies. In subsequent storms, EWP projects may protect homes from further damage.

EWP Eligibility - Private landowners may be eligible for assistance but must be represented by the project sponsor. For additional information about specific fire EWP assistance click here.

EWP Questions and Answers

Fire Rehabilitation Conservation Methods:

2012 Concrete Barrier Wall Fact Sheet
2012 Contour Sandbags Fact Sheet
2012 Contour Wattles Fact Sheet
2012 Dike Fact Sheet
2012 Diversion Fact Sheet
2012 Erosion Control Mats Fact Sheet
2012 Grade Stabilizers Fact Sheet
2012 Hand Raking Fact Sheet
2012 Hillside Home Drainage Fact Sheet
2012 Hydromulching Fact Sheet
2012 Log Erosion Barrier Fact Sheet
2012 Mechanical Scarification Fact Sheet
2012 Rock Check Fact Sheet
2012 Rock Outlet Protection Fact Sheet
2012 Sandbag Barrier Fact Sheet
2012 Sediment Basin Fact Sheet
2012 Seeding Fact Sheet
2012 Straw Bale Check Dam Fact Sheet
2012 Straw Bale Dike Fact Sheet
2012 Wire Fabric Gabion Fact Sheet