Skip Navigation

News Release

NRCS Alabama Announces Gulf Coast Conservation Program Sign-Up

Shannon Weaver

Release No.: 000023.18

Printable Version

AUBURN, April 25, 2018 – USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) State Conservationist Ben Malone announced funding is available to address conservation along Alabama’s gulf coast. The Gulf Coast Conservation Reserve Program (GCCRP) will focus on conservation in Baldwin and Mobile Counties. Eligible landowners are encouraged to apply by May 28, 2018.

The program will protect and restore habitat and improve water quality through implementation of conservation practices that address erosion, infiltration and habitat improvement. NRCS and Soil & Water Conservation District staff will complete site specific conservation plans, engineering designs, environmental evaluations and conservation practice implementation on agricultural and forested lands within Mobile and Baldwin Counties.

Properties in these counties drain to the Mobile Bay, Mississippi Sound, Bon Secour Bay and Perdido Bay, which all feed into the Gulf of Mexico. Conservation practices such as filter strips, grassed waterways, terraces and sediment basins will have direct positive environmental benefits on these coastal waterbodies.

As a result of these efforts, it is estimated that 1,500 acres will be enrolled in Best Management Practices (BMPs) contracts and 1,200 of those acres will be treated for erosion control.

The GCCRP is funded by the Gulf Coast Ecosystem Restoration Council through its Initial Funded Priorities List approved December 9, 2015, from the settlement with Transocean Deepwater Inc. to provide near-term, on-the-ground ecosystem benefits. 

Interested landowners in Baldwin and Mobile Counties are encouraged to apply by May 28, 2018 by visiting their local USDA service center. 


USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).