Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

A rancher and his dogs check fence lines in open country.

Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone Soil Erosion Reduction TIP


This Targeted Implementation Plan (TIP) is available in Carbon and Stillwater Counties, Montana. TIPs are local-level Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) initiatives used by NRCS in Montana to guide on-the-ground implementation of locally developed Long Range County Plans.

Project Description

County or Counties: Carbon, Stillwater
Primary Resource Concern: Wind erosion
Time Frame: Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 through FY 2024

Traditional intensive tillage of sugar beet cropping has led to large amounts of soil erosion, both from wind erosion as well as furrow irrigation induced water erosion. The goal of this TIP is to build soil through soil health practices in sugar beet rotations by reducing tillage and leaving more crop residue on the soil surface. Both residue management and sprinkler systems will be cost shared to incentivize producers to adopt this level of management.

Conservation Practices Offered

  • Residue and Tillage Management (345)
  • Sprinkler System (442)
  • Structure for Water Control (587)
  • Irrigation Pipeline (430)
  • Irrigation Pumping Plant (533)

Detailed descriptions of these conservation practices can be found in the Field Office Technical Guide Section 4 - Practice Standards and Supporting Documents.

Project Partners

  • Carbon Conservation District
  • Montana Rural Water Systems, Inc.
  • Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks
  • Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology

Local Ranking Criteria

NRCS uses these questions to evaluate eligible applications for this project and to prioritize applications for potential funding. In addition, NRCS uses the Conservation Assessment Ranking Tool (CART) for all application assessment and ranking. Learn more about CART.

  1. Planned erosion rate reduced to less than 0.5 ton per acre per year
  2. Planned erosion rate reduced to less than 1 ton per acre per year
  3. Planned erosion rate reduced to less than 1.5 tons per acre per year
  4. Beet crop interval STIR value will be less than 40
  5. No full width tillage in rotation besides harvest and harrow
  6. Average STIR reduced to less than 30

Additional Montana Information

Targeted Implementation Plans (TIPs) are local-level Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) initiatives used by NRCS in Montana to guide on-the-ground implementation of locally developed Long Range County Plans. These plans are part of the "Focused Conservation” strategy to guide Montana's EQIP investments.

Additional Information

Ready to get started?

Contact your local service center to start your application.

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit

How to Get Assistance

Do you farm or ranch and want to make improvements to the land that you own or lease?

Natural Resources Conservation Service offers technical and financial assistance to help farmers, ranchers and forest landowners.

how to get started

To get started with NRCS, we recommend you stop by your local NRCS field office. We’ll discuss your vision for your land.

NRCS provides landowners with free technical assistance, or advice, for their land. Common technical assistance includes: resource assessment, practice design and resource monitoring. Your conservation planner will help you determine if financial assistance is right for you.

We’ll walk you through the application process. To get started on applying for financial assistance, we’ll work with you:

  • To fill out an AD 1026, which ensures a conservation plan is in place before lands with highly erodible soils are farmed. It also ensures that identified wetland areas are protected.
  • To meet other eligibility certifications.

Once complete, we’ll work with you on the application, or CPA 1200.

Applications for most programs are accepted on a continuous basis, but they’re considered for funding in different ranking periods. Be sure to ask your local NRCS district conservationist about the deadline for the ranking period to ensure you turn in your application in time.

As part of the application process, we’ll check to see if you are eligible. To do this, you’ll need to bring:

  • An official tax ID (Social Security number or an employer ID)
  • A property deed or lease agreement to show you have control of the property; and
  • A farm tract number.

If you don’t have a farm tract number, you can get one from USDA’s Farm Service Agency. Typically, the local FSA office is located in the same building as the local NRCS office. You only need a farm tract number if you’re interested in financial assistance.

NRCS will take a look at the applications and rank them according to local resource concerns, the amount of conservation benefits the work will provide and the needs of applicants.

If you’re selected, you can choose whether to sign the contract for the work to be done.

Once you sign the contract, you’ll be provided standards and specifications for completing the practice or practices, and then you will have a specified amount of time to implement. Once the work is implemented and inspected, you’ll be paid the rate of compensation for the work if it meets NRCS standards and specifications.