The State Technical Advisory Committee (STAC) has been and will continue to be a vital part of Farm Bill implementation. NRCS depends on member local knowledge and expertise to ensure implementation of Farm Bill Programs is relevant and locally-led. The role of the STAC is to serve primarily as a source of information, analysis and recommendation to the PIA Director.
The Food Security Act of 1985 required the formation of STACs to advise NRCS on a variety of issues. The Agricultural Improvement Act of 2018 amends the 1985 Farm Bill to identify additional mandatory members and designate multiple areas where the STAC must be involved during 2018 Farm Bill implementation.
Each STAC is composed of agricultural producers and other professionals that represent a variety of disciplines and include representatives from the following:
- USDA Agencies - Natural Resources Conservation Service, Farm Services Agency, Forest Service, etc.
- Federal and State/Territorial Fish and Wildlife Agencies
- State Agencies – Forestry, Water Resources, Agriculture, etc.
- Soil and Water Conservation Districts and their Associations
- Agricultural producers representing the variety of crops and livestock raised within the State and Territories
- Owners of nonindustrial private forest land
- Nonprofit organizations with conservation expertise and experience working with agriculture producers in the PIA
- Cooperative Extension Service and PIA Universities
STAC meetings are open to anyone, however, membership is by Director approval.
PIA STAC meetings are held quarterly. Information is sent to STAC members for review and comment prior to the meeting. Subcommittees, that meet between quarterly STAC meetings, discuss specific issues at the request of the Director. Subcommittee meetings are coordinated by a subcommittee chairperson. A technical facilitator is assigned to each subcommittee. STAC meetings consist of presentation of issues, review of subcommittee and other feedback, and summary of next steps whether it be to make a recommendation or to send the issue back to subcommittee.
Dates for upcoming PIA STAC meetings:
- December 5, 2023
- February 13, 2024
- May 14, 2024
- August 13, 2024
Meetings are at 1 p.m. HST and are held on MS Teams.
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer, mobile app or room device
Click here to join the meeting
Meeting ID: 287 502 801 27
Download Teams | Join on the web
Or call in (audio only)
+1 202-650-0123,,58852449# United States, Washington DC
Phone Conference ID: 588 524 49#
Find a local number | Reset PIN
Learn More | Meeting options
To receive STAC emails, complete the STAC member info doc below and send it to Nicholas.Saumweber@usda.gov or call Nick at (808) 600-2960.
To view the minutes or recording of past meetings click STAC Minutes
To view STAC Partner Sharing Sessions
- Janurary 11, 2022 - HILT (Kamakaala), Permanent Agriculture Resources (Elevitch, Logan, & Bowart), and UH (Wang) (YouTube)
- November 2022 - UH (Wang), Establishing Long-Term Ground Cover vs Mulching with long Lasting Cover Crop Residues
For information on the purpose, responsibilities, membership composition, etc. of the NRCS State Technical Committee.
Questions or comments about the PIA STAC may be directed to Nick Saumweber, Assistant Director for Programs, by calling (808) 600-2960 or emailing Nicholas.Saumweber@usda.gov.