As Caribbean agriculture grows in new directions, NRCS conservation assistance is growing along with it. NRCS provides technical and financial assistance for urban farmers to help them with:
- Soil Health
- Irrigation and Water Conservation
- Weeds and Pests
- High Tunnels – NRCS can provide financial assistance to install high tunnels, used to extend the growing season and to protect plants from harsh weather, air pollution and pests. By making local produce available for more months in the year, fewer resources are used to transport food to plates.
Starting an urban farm comes with a unique set of challenges and opportunities. NRCS can help with the challenges of conservation, and support urban farmers in their efforts to achieve local, healthy, sustainable food for their communities. Start by contacting your local NRCS Service Center.
- Agricultura Urbana para Puerto Rico
- USDA's Urban Agriculture webpage
- Farmers.gov - Help for Urban Growers
- Farming in the City video - Did you know 15 percent of the world’s food is grown in urban areas?